Add this to my list...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
There are so many things brewing enthusiasts should avoid. Today I learned that rearranging the kegs in the tap fridge is a bad idea if done at the wrong time. When I disconnected a beer out line from a corny, the poppet got stuck open and sprayed me with about a half pint of Belgian Wit. Right in the face. Everything in the fridge got hit. Nice puddle in the bottom too. Glad I could depressurize the keg before I lost too much. I have a (bad) habit of tinkering with stuff on my way out the door. No more shenanigans with kegs, though.

I did a VERY similar thing once. Like the idiot that I am I attached a serving line disconnect to my pin lock (no serving line, just the disconnect) and my freshly kegged beer started spraying all over my kitchen. I just stared at it for a very seconds trying desperately to figure out what was going on :eek:, doh. At this point I think I had relaxed and enjoyed too many home brews for my own good.

Sometimes I think I'm too relaxed having multiple homebrews.
I've connected a tap line with the tap open.
Filled mash tun with the spigot open.
Hooked up a bottle filler without closing the valve.

IXVolt said:
Filled mash tun with the spigot open.

Brew enough and it will happen, and worse. I was a pro brewer for 3 years and I made a few mistakes.

Start runoff with kettle drain open for about 5 minutes. Instead of purging sanitizer from 50 feet of 1.5 inch hose, I pushed it all into the unitank. Instead of recirculation, I sent the first wort to the HLT.

I now work in aviation where the saying is,"There are only two kinds of pilots. Those who have landed wheels up, and those who will."

Expose yourself to risk enough and complacency will be there waiting to strike.

Back