What size hole saw to use on a SS kettle when adding a weldless kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesie9

Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback as to which size hole saw to use for adding a weldless kit? I have seen both 7/8 and 13/16 recommended and I am not sure which one to use. Worried about ruining my first brew pot.

I don't remember the exact size but do remember going through the same dilemma. I think I just measured the width of the shank. Don't hold me to it but seems like it was 7/8".

Harbor freight has a step drill set for 20 bucks. Worked pretty good for me.

13/16" is super tight. Like it will try to pull off your teflon tape tight. 7/8" gives you a bit more wiggle room.

I did all my holes at 13/16" and had to be real careful to not shred my tape installing everything.

I'm not sure if you're drilling SS or aluminum, but for my aluminum pots I drilled a little small, then filed to fit so I wouldn't end up with a gaping hole.

B

All the ones I've seen are 7/8 including mine and with the weldless kit there is no need for tape, there is a heat proof gasket on the flange that seals up tight upon first use. If your kettle is SS be very careful and take your time as it's very tough stuff, also use a little cool water as you drill to keep the bit cool. If you have access to a drill press I'd recommend using one.

My kettle is SS. I'm going to give the 7/8 a try.

Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated!

Is there any reason you couldn't use a 7/8 or 13/16 drill bit instead of the step bit?

I would not try to drill a hole at 7/8 on a first pass in SS unless you have a drill press, a decent jig to hold the kettle in place, and a lot of patience...

The likely outcome is the bit will overheat as it deforms the SS with pressure applied to the bit.

If you don't want to buy a step bit, start with a pilot hole say 1/8 or so and work your way to 7/8 over several steps.

Never drilled a kettle, but I have a lot of experience with SS...

I have found that the 7/8" hole saw is just a tiny bit too big for the weldless fittings.

I would not try to drill a hole at 7/8 on a first pass in SS unless you have a drill press, a decent jig to hold the kettle in place, and a lot of patience...

The likely outcome is the bit will overheat as it deforms the SS with pressure applied to the bit.

If you don't want to buy a step bit, start with a pilot hole say 1/8 or so and work your way to 7/8 over several steps.

Never drilled a kettle, but I have a lot of experience with SS...

Thanks for input. I think I will work my way up instead of going the hole saw route and/or springing for a step bit.

It's tough at first to justify the step bit purchase but you will be a lot happier with the hole it produces compared to the hole saw. I found this out the hard way.

I have also used a file but If using a step bit, you can put the bit in the hole from the other side and with minimal pressure run the drill to de-bur it. Works great!

Or use Greenlee conduit punches. Very pricey but makes perfect holes every time.

Back