Water to Grist Ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonestar

Reaction score
So I read its anywhere from .9 - 1.3 - 2.0... What is the deal with the grist to water ratio? What works best? What is the best ratio?

Between 1 and 1.5 quarts per pound og grain, there are brewing apps that can calculate the strike and sparge water for you, just plug in your recipe.
Also depends on your system.

Depends on your system. Typically, people pick a number between 1 and 2 qt/lb, and just stick with it. There is some theoretical difference in fermentability, but it's slight.

I do 1.5 qts./ lbs , work well for my set up (round 10 gal MLT) easier to stir in. Some times go to 1.75 qts if I'm lazy that day. Cheers:)

Depends on your system. Typically, people pick a number between 1 and 2 qt/lb, and just stick with it. There is some theoretical difference in fermentability, but it's slight.

This.

I'll be honest, I adjust it to whatever makes the strike water easiest to accurately measure (i.e. 5 gallons versus 4.86)

Back