racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyspohn

Reaction score
So I racked into the secondary today and I used a hydrometer when I first made it and it was 1.070 today when roaching to secondary its .994 and almost no alcohol its tastes ok kinda bitter I'm thinking if I top it of with more cider or apple concentrate will that water it down at all or will it improve the taste can I add more sugar at this point and if so is more yeast reguired any help would be great thank you

So I racked into the secondary today and I used a hydrometer when I first made it and it was 1.070 today when roaching to secondary its .994 and almost no alcohol its tastes ok kinda bitter I'm thinking if I top it of with more cider or apple concentrate will that water it down at all or will it improve the taste can I add more sugar at this point and if so is more yeast reguired any help would be great thank you

1.070 to 0.994 should give you a bit over 10% ABV. It will be dry (not sweet). Adding apple concentrate before bottling will add sweetness, and probably restart fermentation (if you want carbed cider this is a good thing). It will reduce the ABV a bit, how much I guess depends on how much concentrate you use.

What size batch is this?

Maybe I don't know how to use the hydrometer Lol..... its a 5 gallon batch blueberry and craisons

I'm thinking that if you can't taste alcohol, that's a good thing. I'd let it age and see if the bitterness subsides and the apple flavor comes back around before adding anything else to it.

Craisons? Do you put them in the secondary? Do they add alcohol or flavor or both? How much for a 5 gal. carboy?

The Hydrometer scale shows potential alcohol based on the natural sugar content, So you take your first reading with no sugar or yeast added. Say it 1.070 and that gives you potential alcohol of 8.9% You take your final gravity reading at .994

According to my calculation

1.070 -.994 = .076

.076 x 131.25 = 9.975%

Your brew is at 9.975% ABV

UpstateMike said:
1.070 to 0.994 should give you a bit over 10% ABV. It will be dry (not sweet). Adding apple concentrate before bottling will add sweetness, and probably restart fermentation (if you want carbed cider this is a good thing). It will reduce the ABV a bit, how much I guess depends on how much concentrate you use.

What size batch is this?

I was going to do the same add a little apple concentrate to make sweeter! Now you say fermentation might set in again but if I bottle that right away and put in fridge won't the fermentation stop? Also will the pressure be to much for a bottle then?

Hey mike I did 5-12 oz bags of frozen blueberries soaked in vodka and 2 pounds of craisons in the primary I can't really taste a difference but this is my first time making cider I was told I could add 2 more pounds to the secondary and it would bring out more flavor but I'm not going to do that I like it just fine now

sexton -

Yeast will continue eating sugars until there is no more, or they produce so much alcohol that they just die. It's like yeast valhalla.

I made a 5 gallon batch to start with but with all the blueberrys in the primary and after recking it into the secondary I have now prolly 4 gallons Lol... my question is I want it a little sweeter than it is now what would be a good amour of apple concentrate to but in should I put another gallon of cider in first so I have a 5 gallon batch again then add the concentrate if so how much do I add I know everyones taste is different but what would you add to your thank you for any help

Back