Wine Barrel Lambic Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lambic rebrew was oficcially put in the books over the weekend last weekend. We pulled 35 gallons, and added back about 40 fresh gallons. I have to say, I was holding out high hopes for this beer, but the actual samples we pulled were far exceeding what I was hoping for. I took my 10G share and split 3 ways, 3G unblended in a carboy, 3G on raspberries and 3G on Granache Grapes.

Cant wait to see what this will be like in a year...

5# Blackberries/5# Raspberries were added to the first batch of the lambic.

Have 7.2# of cherry pie filling in preps for the second batch.

both to one 5G batch? woa!

i have the fruit in buckets... and its pretty incredibly nasty to look at! but it tastes oooooooooo so good

Did you clean out the dregs from the barrel before refilling? I am planning on pulling 30 gallons from each of my barrels in the next few months. Before I refill with 40 gallons of wort I will rinse the barrel with cold water until it runs clear. Then add 3787 for primary and top with the remaining 30 gallons of 1 year old lambic after primary subsides.

BW

No, we just left the trub in the barrel. It is supposed to add complexity and funk.

additional comments after looking at your blog... DAMN dude!!!! Barrel obsession much? I wish I lived in wine country.

Barrel obsession much? I wish I lived in wine country.

It is a blessing and a curse. My friend Dave, he gave me all those other barrels, called me and said he had some more barrels for me including a port barrel the winemaker made for himself. To make matters more tempting my father-in-law said I could put a few barrels in a storage room in the basement of his house! We will see how I feel after bottling 60 gallons of beer in the next few months.

BW

I do love those little 20's and 10!

Well, we all took our shares in October. I heard Claphasma's turned to vinegar because of O2 exposure. No word on Al's. Mine are about to be bottled this week or next. I kept 3 gallons neutral, 3 mixed with 13 pounds of grenache grapes, and 3 gallons mixed with farm picked raspberries, about 8-9 pounds. To limit aceto I first filled my carboys with CO2 for a longer than normal amount of time, filled with fruit and beer, then purged again with CO2. All of my samplings have been superb. I plan to carb up all the beer but 6 or so of the un-fruited section.

Me and a couple friends are looking to do this in the fall, is there anything you would've done different?

Back