What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have recently tasted several "new" brews....difficult to find some of these in my area and I found a great distributor on a weekend trip.

1. Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale: Wow....that was an experience! I bought a case of bombers, and was blown away. Aggressive beer....good! Nothing like confronting your tongue!

2. Stone Smoked Porter: After reading posts on here about smoked porters, Stone specifically, I was really interested. It was a great porter....and the smoked portion was far more subtle than I anticipated. Certainly one of my new favorites. Great brew.

3. Bell's Kalamazoo Stout: Nice malty stout, little thin on the body, imo...but a great brew.

Also reaquainted myself with Bigfoot...was nice to have a pint. I put the remainder of a case in the basement for safe keeping.

In all...tallied a case of Bell's, case of Bigfoot and a case each of bombers of Stone Smoked Porter and Arrogant Bastard....

Life is Good....

Brewsmith said:
Belhaven Wee Heavy It's malty, but there are more hops in there than I expected. Very nice.

I enjoyed one of these last night, and I do mean enjoyed. The smokyness you'd expect from the style doesn't immediately smack you in the tastebuds, it's not over the top like some others.
I'll definitely be getting more of these.

Oh yeah!

636-blacknfookintan.jpg

I have some Bridgeport India Pale Ale which is very good. I would like to make something similar.I like it better than the Hop Ottin which I had purchased just recently.

At work. Accidently brought in a couple of cans yesterday of Cascade Draught. Aircon is not working just now and 33C outside. Wish I had brought more in. Wife just called to say that she is going to the beach and can I make my own way home. ...my own way home will be via the pub and then a taxi!! yyyiiiipppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot (Barley Wine Style Ale)

Heard all the "hub-bub" about barley wine and got curious. Was in Tampa a few weeks ago, visited the LHBS and then went to lunch at a German place called Mr. Dunderbac's. Something like 17 craft or imported beer on tap and better than 35 bottled.

Tried a Russian Imperial Stout, and then the Bigfoot. I'm not a hop fan, I worry about acid reflux when eating vanilla ice cream much less highly hopped beer but somehow I bery much likeed this ale. The aroma had a "grape" or earthy boquet, malt and hop of course and after the first sip I knew that this was not a beer to be inhaled with any speed.

It was wonderful with my german food (schnitzel with a cream sauce, doused with peppers, onions and mushrooms) so it was very balanced.

Bought a six at my local mega-liqour store and tried it at home again. I read reviews that there are much less hopped versions out there but Sierra Nevada's version is still held in high regard to other Barley Wine Ale styles.

Good experience.

Shimms said:
Today we're drinking Micky Finn's Oatmeal Stout while making my porter :)

And our porter is going to be better than the stout.

I'm kind of disappointed in Mickey Finn's stout. I thought it would be better.

Any of the other Lake County IL brewers disappointed with Mickey Finn's lately?

Right now I've got a SN IPA 2007. I'm just not a big fan of this one. Wasn't impressed with the 06 either. Kind of harsh, and really dry.

lgtg said:
Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot (Barley Wine Style Ale)

Heard all the "hub-bub" about barley wine and got curious. Was in Tampa a few weeks ago, visited the LHBS and then went to lunch at a German place called Mr. Dunderbac's. Something like 17 craft or imported beer on tap and better than 35 bottled.

Tried a Russian Imperial Stout, and then the Bigfoot. I'm not a hop fan, I worry about acid reflux when eating vanilla ice cream much less highly hopped beer but somehow I bery much likeed this ale. The aroma had a "grape" or earthy boquet, malt and hop of course and after the first sip I knew that this was not a beer to be inhaled with any speed.

It was wonderful with my german food (schnitzel with a cream sauce, doused with peppers, onions and mushrooms) so it was very balanced.

Bought a six at my local mega-liqour store and tried it at home again. I read reviews that there are much less hopped versions out there but Sierra Nevada's version is still held in high regard to other Barley Wine Ale styles.

Good experience.

Which year bigfoot was it?

Im drinking Modelo Especial and waiting for my own special cerveza to finish its dactyl rest so it can be racked and sent down to the cold basement to lager and think about what its done.

ill.literate said:
And our porter is going to be better than the stout.

I'm kind of disappointed in Mickey Finn's stout. I thought it would be better.

Any of the other Lake County IL brewers disappointed with Mickey Finn's lately?

Mickey Finn's Black Magic porter is the way to go, great stuff.

Dude said:
I've got a 2006 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. WOWSER...this is like Chocolate whiskey. GAWD....its good, but really hot. I'm sleeping good tonight.

I just bought a sixer of that stuff last week-end. My Christmas porter this year was a spot-on clone if you want to make it yourself. Hard to believe that no chocolate was harmed making that stuff.

Chairman Cheyco said:
I just bought a sixer of that stuff last week-end. My Christmas porter this year was a spot-on clone if you want to make it yourself. Hard to believe that no chocolate was harmed making that stuff.

There's no chocolate in it?

And no...I couldn't drink 5 gallons of this in my whole lifetime. Thanks for the offer. ;)

Dude said:
There's no chocolate in it?

And no...I couldn't drink 5 gallons of this in my whole lifetime. Thanks for the offer. ;)

Nope, it says right on the bottle that they used five different black malts to get it tasting like that IIRC.

That porter took about 3 months to drink but it was really awesome. It peaked right at Christmas, and me and SWMBO each had a glass while opening our gifts in the morning. Good times.

I'm drinking Dogfish Head 60 minute. I could drink it by the gallon, I think. Very nice, easy to drink beer. I have to stop, because I have a kid to pick up later tonight. (Unfortunately, my youngest does not yet drive even though I've asked him to at least start driver's ed.). But, tomorrow is Friday- and more beer awaits.

Chairman Cheyco said:

I'd like to give it a shot sometime if you are still willing to share the recipe.

1 of 2 bottles left of my honeyweizen. yum.

racking a pub ale as I type, and soaking the peaches in pectic enzyme for the second batch of peach cream ale. mmmm.

drouillp said:
1 of 2 bottles left of my honeyweizen. yum.

racking a pub ale as I type, and soaking the peaches in pectic enzyme for the second batch of peach cream ale. mmmm.

coffee. cried myself to sleep last night as I poured out 5 gallons of pub ale.

first destructive infection. :(

a moment of silence please.

thank you.

Drinking Weyerbacher's Insanity.

I don't like it. VERY sweet, much more that I expected (I kinda thought with a name like "insanity," it would have some more hops :D) My first though when I smelled it was "wine" - no surprise, it IS oaked, and that continues through the flavor. Very fruity, I wanna almost say a little raisiney. Body is very full, thick, chewey, yet it appears almost spritzy coming out of the bottle. Very cloudy with no head.

More than anything, it reminds me of DFH's Golden Shower, although not nearly as undrinkable as that POS.

So, disappointing. Live, learn, and try something new next. :D

SN Bigfoot 2007.

MUCH better than last year. Not as harsh and not as strong of an alcohol burn. It is definitley still a sipper...but WAY better than the 06.

I really want to do a vertical tasting of the 05-07. Need to get on that.

i took a leap of the cliff and bought a bottle of ....hobgoblin. :fro: thanks, orfy, you made me do it.:rockin:

edit; dang that's some pretty good ale now i wish i'd got more than one 500ml bottle(3.50 us)

Just opened my first fully carbed bottle of my Baltic Porter - :fro: (bottled 2/16)

It was a partial mash AHS kit, bumped to 5.5 gal and with a pound of piloncillo (Mexican unrefined brown sugar, sold in solid cones). I used WLP001 instead of the more common lager yeast, but fermented at about 62. Carbed to about 2.6 - 2.7 volumes. WOW - the high carbonation makes this drink very light iand smooth, especially for a 8.4% brew. Sort of like a Belgain in its deceptiveness, but very clean. I have never had a commercial version of this, so no comparisons. Went from 1.080 to 1.017. Most of my beers are ligher on carb, but this just dances on the tounge. The BJCP descriptor fits. Worth a try if you like big brews. Not too intense on roast, and light bitterness (35 IBU) is just enough to balance the residual sweetness without being cloying. I have heard that these take 3-6 months to reach prime. If it is this good now, I will lock some away, hard as that will be.

Mead.

Drank my swap brews (and yes, felt guilt about it my swap recipients. I ***SWEAR*** yours go out soon) and decided I needed something different.

9 day old Lake Walk Pale Ale anniversary edition. :D
Took a sample yesterday and carbed up a 16 oz. bottle with the carbonator cap.

Huge grapefruit, peach, pineapple aroma, a bit dry, a bit green, a bit hazy, but dammit it is freaking GREAT!

Cracked open one of my first HB, Pretty good but still has some time to go. So until then im enjoying a dunkelwiesen.

Back