One for the Wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadarnell

Reaction score
I want to brew a beer soon that I'm sure will be a hit with my wife ... she doesn't drink beer too often, but when she does it's always an easy drinker like a coors light or a corona ... I'm thinking about picking up this cream ale from brewers best, but it is brewed with some corn sugar

FERMENTABLES
3.3 lb. Extra Light LME
2.0 lb. Pilsen DME
1 lb. Corn Sugar
HOPS
1.25 oz. Bittering
1 oz. Aroma
YEAST
1 Sachet

... is that always a no no to use some corn sugar .. will it turn out more like cider if I brew it with the sugar ??? ... thoughts ??? :confused:

Corn Sugar is different then table sugar, and you can easily brew with it without worry. You could always sub out the sugar for honey, but will need to check out how much sugar is in honey to make sure you have the correct amount added.

Corn sugar is dextrose, table sugar is sucrose, but they actually ferment very similarly. I think most people consider them to be almost interchangeable in this context. The warning against using sugar in brewing is because many of the cheaper kit manufacturers add a kilo of sugar to their recipes to save on costs. That is rarely a good thing to do. That said, corn sugar/table sugar is used in many different styles and can help a beer to dry out a little bit.

Cream ales are typically mashed with corn, which provides much the same thing that a pound of sugar in an extract batch will. Here, the sugar is appropriate to style. I can't comment on that recipe specifically, but it looks more or less what a cream ale recipe should look like.

It's a good lawnmower beer. Cream ales are a good way to get your corona drinking friends into styles a bit more complicated. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back