how much force carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski36t

Reaction score
I have built myself a small, 3-liter keg and I am in the process of force carbonating it. I have read elsewhere to use 20 psi and then shake it to get the CO2 in the beer....and it is working great...I just don't known when to stop. I am using a 12g CO2 cartridge attached to the top with a pressure gauge.

Do I keep cranking the pressure up to 20 psi and shaking it until no more CO2 will go in?

I'm curious if you can actually carb a beer with 12g co2 cartridges? Has anyone done this and what have your experiences been? How many cartridges did it take?

dblvsn said:
I'm curious if you can actually carb a beer with 12g co2 cartridges? Has anyone done this and what have your experiences been? How many cartridges did it take?

So far I haven't even used up one...and it wasn't full when I started. I can't tell you how much carbonation I have yet because I haven't tried it yet. But remember, I am doing a 3-liter keg so obviously it takes a lot less that the big boys.

Back