Ohio River Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsBrewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
I used Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.052-1.056
Final Gravity
1.010-1.014
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Tasting Notes
Was not impressed until it aged atleast three months.... I am eager to try it kegged.
*Ohio River Red Ale*

Ingredients:

6.5-pounds amber LME
1-pound 40L Crystal malt
1/8-pound roasted barley
1-ounce Cascade hops (bittering)
½-ounce Cascade hops (flavor)
½-ounce Cascade hops (aroma)
1 packet Danstar Windsor ale yeast (recommended liquid yeast: White Labs WLP004 - Irish Ale)
1 muslin grain bag
1 muslin hops bag

Procedure:
Put one gallon of water into a brew pot, and raise to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Crush the grain and tie it loosely into the muslin bag. Drop the bag into the water and let steep at 155-165 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. Remove the grain bag and raise the temperature until the wort begins to boil. Add the malt extracts and 1 ounce of hops (wrapped loosely in a muslin bag), and bring back to a boil for one hour. When you have 15 minutes remaining, add ½ ounce of hops. Add the final ½ ounce of hops with 2 minutes remaining. Remove the pot from the burner, and remove the bag with the hops.

Add three gallons chilled water to a clean and sterile fermenter. Strain the wort into the pot, add the ale yeast, and seal with an airlock. Leave in a cool, dark place (65-75 degrees Fahrenheit).

The wort should ferment for 10-20 days. Bottle after the bubbling stops.

ABV: 5.5%

This is my first recipe post... hope everyone enjoys it and please let me know what you think if you decide to make it!

Cheers! :mug:

*Ohio River Red Ale*

Ingredients:

6.5-pounds amber LME
1-pound 40L Crystal malt
1/8-pound roasted barley
1-ounce Cascade hops (bittering)
½-ounce Cascade hops (flavor)
½-ounce Cascade hops (aroma)
1 packet Danstar Windsor ale yeast (recommended liquid yeast: White Labs WLP004 - Irish Ale)
1 muslin grain bag
1 muslin hops bag

Procedure:
Put one gallon of water into a brew pot, and raise to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Crush the grain and tie it loosely into the muslin bag. Drop the bag into the water and let steep at 155-165 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. Remove the grain bag and raise the temperature until the wort begins to boil. Add the malt extracts and 1 ounce of hops (wrapped loosely in a muslin bag), and bring back to a boil for one hour. When you have 15 minutes remaining, add ½ ounce of hops. Add the final ½ ounce of hops with 2 minutes remaining. Remove the pot from the burner, and remove the bag with the hops.

Add three gallons chilled water to a clean and sterile fermenter. Strain the wort into the pot, add the ale yeast, and seal with an airlock. Leave in a cool, dark place (65-75 degrees Fahrenheit).

The wort should ferment for 10-20 days. Bottle after the bubbling stops.

ABV: 5.5%

This is my first recipe post... hope everyone enjoys it and please let me know what you think if you decide to make it!

Cheers! :mug:

We need more tasting notes, in order to keep the recipe in that database, which is the place for solid proven recipes.

Can you please give more tasting notes, including the aroma/flavor/impression? thanks!

Tasting Notes: Deep red in color, this ale starts off malty but not sweet, malty flavor soon fades into the hoppy backbone of this red ale. Finishes clean over the tongue and leaves no lingering after-taste. Initial aroma is one that has distinct hopps balanced by a sweet malt. IMPO the hopps can be too over powering in regard to aroma.

Tasting Notes: Deep red in color, this ale starts off malty but not sweet, malty flavor soon fades into the hoppy backbone of this red ale. Finishes clean over the tongue and leaves no lingering after-taste. Initial aroma is one that has distinct hopps balanced by a sweet malt. IMPO the hopps can be too over powering in regard to aroma.

That sounds really great!!!!!!!

1852-a.jpg

Not great Picture but I needed to post one!

Back