Not new to this but never seen these clumps. infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
so i brewed this all grain blonde yesterday and i started to get these clumps floating to the top.. what are they and did i get infected? ive never seen this before in any of my beers.. oh and Nottingham yeast

infection.jpg

infection2.jpg

so false alarm? you know its been a while since i have had explosive fermentation, why is that?? i have great efficiency In the 80s and i use pure oxygen and a diffusion stone to aerate, whats the deal?

Explosive fermentations are a great show, don't mean much as far as great beer.

I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME THIS WEEK !!!!
I just posted on the all grain thread and decided i should move it here !!

(not trying to hijack but we have the same problem ! )

This is my original post :

-----------------------------------------
Two weeks ago I brewed this :

Murphy's Irish Stout

Yield: 5 Gallons OG: 1.040-1.043 FG: 1.008-1.010 ABV 4.2%
SRM 81

AG

5.75 lb British 2 row
1/2 lb chocolate malt
7 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz British Crystal 55 L

Mash for 90 minutes at 150 f (2.5-3 gallons at 162 strike temp)

1 oz target (boil 60 minutes)
1/4 oz E. Kent (Flavor, 15 minutes)...don't forget Irish Moss here

yeast: Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale or 1098 British Ale ***Substituted Safale 04***

--------------------------

I wanted to wash the yeast, and when I racked to secondary after 9-10 days, the trub looked like nothing I've seen before (4th batch) it looked almost like broccoli !! The trub I've seen in the past after racking was like an opaque yellowish honey/taffy on the bottom of the ale pail, but not so this time.. i washed it anyway according to the yeast washing sticky, and the jars of washed yeast looked like his did after 1 year. (looks like sweet tea with a thin layer of whitish powder on the bottom)

I bottled it yesterday and there were still some little brownish/greenish floaties on the top, that I thought were hops, but after squeezing them in my fingers, appear to be parts of the broccoli trub !! It should also be mentioned that the beer was delicious! it was supposed to be a murphy's clone and it tasted great, even to my brewing friend with much more experience...

so does anyone have any advice ? ever seen the mysterious "broccoli trub" before ?? am I going to die when I drink this delicious brew ? are the jars of washed yeast worthless ?

Thanks so much !
Joey

- I'd still be sitting in my shed drinking beer instead of brewing it, without you guys ! -
joeybeer is offline Report Post

So I bottled it, and tried to keep the "yeastbergs" out of the bottles, it was in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for one week.. holding the bottles up to the light,i could still see a few of the yeasties in the bottle.. i cracked one open and sure enough, 20-30 yeast spots floating around the bottom.

Is this stuff OK to drink, will they settle or break up .. are they alright to drink ?

So I bottled it, and tried to keep the "yeastbergs" out of the bottles, it was in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for one week.. holding the bottles up to the light,i could still see a few of the yeasties in the bottle.. i cracked one open and sure enough, 20-30 yeast spots floating around the bottom.

Is this stuff OK to drink, will they settle or break up .. are they alright to drink ?

Yes it is okay to drink, after you chill them for a while the yeast should settle to the bottom, and if you pour properly they shouldn't end up in the glass.

Yeast is great for you. Loads of vitamin B complexes. Might give you some gas but unless it smells or tastes funky I say lock & load. No known pathogens can exist in beer, so it's not like you'll kill yourself.

Some styles even encourage you to stir up the yeasties from the sediment and drink it all down to add to the flavor.

At any rate, here's what the University of Maryland says about the vitamin content of Brewer's Yeast:

Brewer's yeast is often used as a source of B-complex vitamins, chromium, and selenium. The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin). These vitamins help break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, which provide the body with energy. They also support the nervous system, help maintain the muscles used for digestion, and keep skin, hair, eyes, mouth, and liver healthy. However, brewer's yeast does not contain vitamin B12, an essential vitamin found in meat and dairy products; vegetarians sometimes take brewer's yeast mistakenly believing that it provides B12, which can be lacking in their diet.

Latest posts

Back