Plastic vs Glass Primary - yeah I know old topic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barthautala

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch and Im waiting on the secondary process to be complete. I cleaned out my primary bucket last night made it all nice and new looking.

The problem is, it still smells like beer inside. Will this aroma leech out into my next batch of beer? Should I be worried about this during primary fermentation?

Im extremely tempted to go pick up a 6.5 gallon acid carboy to do any further beer batches based solely on the smell of my plastic bucket.

Thoughts?

my bucket has reeked since the first batch i did in it and have not had any problems with that smell/flavor making it into subsequent batches.

You said you cleaned it. Did you sanitize it too? If not give that a try and maybe it'll clear up a little bit.

I've always used a bucket for primary and it does really smell when I am done.

You said you cleaned it. Did you sanitize it too? If not give that a try and maybe it'll clear up a little bit.

I've always used a bucket for primary and it does really smell when I am done.

Which brings me to my next question - how far ahead can I sanatize stuff before brewing my next batch? I always just figured I would clean it now and sanatize just before I made my next batch of beer.

bart-

On my primary fermenter I do the same routine when I am done transfering to 2ndary, and when I am getting ready to ferment a new batch. Clean and sanitize at both ends of the process. Piece of mind I guess!

C

You can probably wait and just sanitize before the next batch. I do it twice. Not really sure why, but its cheap, and I clean it while I clean other things.

You can put a pickle jar through the dishwasher and it still comes out with a pickle smell. Plastic is much worse.

Point is that you are only brewing beer. If it smelled like pickles I'd be worried, but if it smells like beer keep going. Maybe give it a second wash with some Oxyclean.

Yeah everyones plastic fermentor smells like funky hops when they are done. The smell will dissapate a little over time when exposed to the air but it really dosen't matter because know one ever seems to notice the taste leeching into their next batch. If you are really worried about you could try soaking overnight in Oxiclean. However, I have cleaned my plastic fermentors this way and they still had a smell to them which I didn't care about.

Personally, I don't worry if my beer makes my beer smell like beer, but that's just me. ;)

Personally, I don't worry if my beer makes my beer smell like beer, but that's just me. ;)

I see what youre saying. But the point, I believe, of aromatic hops is to give the beer a certain smell. But if it comes out smelling like the last beer you made then why use aromatic hops at all?

Looks though as if there is no problem at all.

I see what youre saying. But the point, I believe, of aromatic hops is to give the beer a certain smell. But if it comes out smelling like the last beer you made then why use aromatic hops at all?

Looks though as if there is no problem at all.

I wouldn't worry about it. But yeah when mine is cleaned it dosen't smell quite like beer but like funky weird hops.

So I brewed my first batch and Im waiting on the secondary process to be complete. I cleaned out my primary bucket last night made it all nice and new looking.

The problem is, it still smells like beer inside. Will this aroma leech out into my next batch of beer? Should I be worried about this during primary fermentation?

Im extremely tempted to go pick up a 6.5 gallon acid carboy to do any further beer batches based solely on the smell of my plastic bucket.

Thoughts?

While I am currently in the carboy phase of brewing (inbetween SS keg or conical fermenters and Home Depot buckets), I still occasionally use a bucket to ferment in.

Just don't do wine in that after this...beer will be great though.

Thoughts?

My thought is that my primary buckets (all I brew in) also get stained and smell like hops / beer. I tried giving one the Oxi-Clean treatment once. It wiped out the stain.....but the stain came right back. It reduced the smell, but then I got to thinking that the stain isn't really going to hurt anything, and unless the yeast is offended by it, why worry? Then I thought about the smell: bucket smell = hops & beer; beer smell = hops & beer. So....why should I worry about that, either?
Now I just clean the buckets with dish detergent and a sponge, and sanitize with Star San, don't worry a whole lot about stains or smells.

Or, as it was stated much more concisely in an earlier post by "jds,": "Personally, I don't worry if my beer makes my beer smell like beer, but that's just me."

Bravo.

My thought is that my primary buckets (all I brew in) also get stained and smell like hops / beer. I tried giving one the Oxi-Clean treatment once. It wiped out the stain.....but the stain came right back. It reduced the smell, but then I got to thinking that the stain isn't really going to hurt anything, and unless the yeast is offended by it, why worry? Then I thought about the smell: bucket smell = hops & beer; beer smell = hops & beer. So....why should I worry about that, either?
Now I just clean the buckets with dish detergent and a sponge, and sanitize with Star San, don't worry a whole lot about stains or smells.

Or, as it was stated much more concisely in an earlier post by "jds,": "Personally, I don't worry if my beer makes my beer smell like beer, but that's just me."

Bravo.

I understand, but would you want your light ale smelling like your oatmeal stout? Or is this not generally not an issue.

From the sounds of it, this is isnt ever a problem.

I used to be crazy clean with everything....and I still am, but smells in my plastic fermentators from the previous batch of beer doesn't bother anymore. I used to run hot water, starsan, and cold water through my beer lines after every batch too. But now I just use some hot water.

The way I looked at it is this....you think people like the Germans were cleaning like crazy....in the past and now.....when making the large volumes of beautiful beer that they do? I think not.

Back