Ward Labs results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonesSoda6

Reaction score
Got the test results in from Ward Labs (nice and convenient too), can anyone give me some thoughts on my water results. It was taken from an outside spigot after running for 10 min. Thanks everyone!

pH 7.7
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 337
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.56
Cations / Anions, me/L 6.3 / 6.5
ppm
Sodium, Na 5
Potassium, K 1
Calcium, Ca 83
Magnesium, Mg 23
Total Hardness, CaCO3 303
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 12
Chloride, Cl 23
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 309
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 253
Total Phosphorus, P 0.83
Total Iron, Fe 1.48

This was unsoftened from our well.

Would this fit any styles or is it bottled water time?

Something dark, like a stout. Your water is very alkaline, though not as crazy at the water here at 432ppm. And our sodium is 213ppm. It's basically good for filling the toilet bowl with.

You could dilute yours with distilled water and add a little NaCl and gypsum (CaSO4) to make it a more well-rounded water.

This is throwaway water because of the iron and very high alkalinity or at least throwing it away is one of your options and the easiest once you have swallowed the bitter pill of the capital costs of softener and RO systems (you need both). The softener should take out a lot of the iron but you might need a separate iron removal (greensand) filter as well. This is not because the RO unit won't get most of the bicarbonate and iron but because calcium carbonate and ferric hydroxide will gunk up the membranes pretty quickly if they are not removed. Not to mention the fact that your laundry and plumbing fixtures will be caked with ugly orange/brown crust from the hardness and iron.

The alternative is to decarbonate the water and remove the iron from each batch of brewing water. This is possible to do and many do it but it is, IMO, much easier to just grab water from an RO system.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I run the home on a softener, was just curious if it was feasible to use this water. Looks like to the store I go for some water.

Back