Don't seem to be able to get my Pale Ale right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So I've been trying to get a decent Pale Ale made for a while now, and I can't seem to get it how I want it. I'm looking for something with a good malty backbone, not sweet, with a strong hop flavor, but not too over the top.

Here's my last recipe...

8 1/3lbs MO
1/2lb Crystal 90
1/2lb Crystal 120
1/4lb Flaked Barley

3/4oz Centennial @ 60
1/2oz Centennial @ 10
1 1/4oz Yakima Goldings @ 5
1oz Centennial @ FO

Mash at 152* for 60 mins. OG was 1.060(A little High)

It came out too sweet, and has an earthy undertone to it that is most definitely from the Goldings. I'm also pretty sure I've using too much Crystal, and I think the MO may contributing to some of the sweetness as well.

Here my plan for the next batch...

8 1/3lbs 2 Row
1/4lb Crystal 60
1/4lb Crystal 120
1/4lb Flaked Barley

3/4oz Chinook @ 60
1/2oz Chinook @ 10
1oz Centennial @5
1oz each Centennial & Sorachi Ace @ FO

Mash @ 155* for 60 mins,Target OG will be 1.055. I think this will give me the good body I'm looking for, with minimal sweetness, and the late hop additions will bring great Flavor & Aroma.

So, What do you think? am I on the right track for a good APA? I'm usually pretty confident in my recipe design, but I just can't seem to get this one right.

Thanks in advance:mug:

Just thinking out loud here..

Have you tried using a lighter crystal instead of the 90L & 120L? I usually use 40L... And I would also lighten the total crystal... mabye less than 8% of total..

Also, I would consider a lower mash temp like 150-F... That should really help convert the sugars to fermentable sugars and dry it out some.

Good luck & let us know what worked best for you!
--LexusChris

I second what Lexuschris is saying. Go with a lighter crystal, 40 or 60 @ 1/2 - 3/4#. Also mash @ 151 or 152. APA is one of the few styles I feel like I have a good handle on. Most times my recipe will look something like this
8-9# Base malt
.5# Crystal 60
.5# Victory Malt (0-.25# if entering into competitions)
.25# Flaked Oats
(Note if you want a malty ale much of this can be achieved by adding 1/2# of Munich Light, this increases malt perception without overpowering)

Hop to 35 IBUs
Use what ever you like @ 20/15/5 mins. & as Lexuschris said, dry-hop. Thing is you can dry hop with something other than the big American "C" hops for an understated character. Mix it up, C hops & earthy hops.

Schlante,
Phillip

Add some Kent Goldings dry hopped!

yeah, I'm just not likeing the earthy taste of goldings. I think DH'ing with them would just make it worse.

I think I may drop the Crystal 120 and do a combo of 60 and 40 not to exceed a 1/2 lb, and stick to the hop schedule in the 2nd recipe. :fro:

Back