Coopers carbonation drops pic review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I am almost done drinking my first batch of Coopers European Lager. I made newbie mistakes with the temp and most of my green batch had off flavors. I learned from my mistakes and have temperature control under control (for ales for now, next lager will be attempted when snow falls). Some of my 1st batch bottles came up kind of green while a few were perfect. There was one bottle that I had the other day that was just perfect. I guess it was what you would call a session beer, it was so crisp and smooth, like you can drink 3 of them in a row and ask for more. Anyways, despite all my mistakes with the 1st batch I want to make a comment about Coopers carbonation drops. They are really really good!!! I mean the carbonation that I have in some of my beers is amazing. I like carbonated stuff and this stuff gives it a kick. Here is a pic of one of the last remaining bottles. As you can see carbonation level is pretty pretty good. I hope I will have the same results with switching to priming sugar which is much cheaper then Coopers miracle workers. I think Revvy might agree with me that between these drops and yeasties there are not that many miracle workers. Let them do their thing and they got it going on :)

osuck4.jpg

How many oz's where the bottles? I use 16 oz flip top Grolsh bottles and I am having a tough time guesstimating the right combination of drops to use. Since the Coopers are pretty big and designed for 12 oz bottles, and you really can't cut them, I also got some Muntons tabs which are smaller (use 4 per 12 oz) and I am using one Coopers and one Muntons. So far, it is still under carbonated.

I like the idea since I keg and just bottle about six to determine when the keg is ready to put in the 'fridge, I just wish I could find the magic combination for those Grolsh bottles.

How many oz's where the bottles? I use 16 oz flip top Grolsh bottles and I am having a tough time guesstimating the right combination of drops to use. Since the Coopers are pretty big and designed for 12 oz bottles, and you really can't cut them, I also got some Muntons tabs which are smaller (use 4 per 12 oz) and I am using one Coopers and one Muntons. So far, it is still under carbonated.

I like the idea since I keg and just bottle about six to determine when the keg is ready to put in the 'fridge, I just wish I could find the magic combination for those Grolsh bottles.

It seems like it would be simpler to mix up the appropriate amount of priming sugar solution for your batch size, put it in your bottling bucket and rack on top of that, then bottle. Then the ratio of sugar solution to beer will be correct regardless of what size bottle you use.

It seems like it would be simpler to mix up the appropriate amount of priming sugar solution for your batch size, put it in your bottling bucket and rack on top of that, then bottle. Then the ratio of sugar solution to beer will be correct regardless of what size bottle you use.

True, but they serve a purpose as well....Some people keg, but bottle a few for various reasons, including contest entries...and rather that calculating the amount of sugar water needed for 4 or 6, 12 ounce bottles the tabs are a perfect solution...

And some people find it easier just to drop the tabs in...It like so much in the hobby is a matter of choice.

This is from a 740 ml PET bottle that came with my Coopers brewery and I put 2 carbonation drops since its 25 oz (2x12). I guess I should pickup some Muntons as they are cheaper and smaller in size. I plan to use some 1 liter seltzer bottles in the future so for that I'll put 2 Coopers + 1 Muntons.

Generally speaking, would you say that they carb the beer in about three days as they advertise?

My beer has aged and is ready to drink, except I can't get it to carb. I am about to order the drops or tabs so I can start drinking the beer that I have been complaining about in my other thread.

True, but they serve a purpose as well....Some people keg, but bottle a few for various reasons, including contest entries...and rather that calculating the amount of sugar water needed for 4 or 6, 12 ounce bottles the tabs are a perfect solution...

And some people find it easier just to drop the tabs in...It like so much in the hobby is a matter of choice.

I use 1 flat teaspoon of corn sugar per 500ml flip-top Grolsh bottle for plisners/lagers and it is well carbed. Use a bit less for ales/stouts. Since I only need 6 bottles per batch (the rest is tap-a-draft) this works well and is alot cheaper than the carb drops.

I haven't seen any floaties in the apfelwein that I carbed up with Coopers. Might just be a Munton's thing.

Quick Question: Cooper's Carbonation Drops are 27% glucose and 73% dextrose.

Do they provide a different carbonation (or increase the body of the beer) rather than say... using a homemade syrup of cane sugar and water?

There might be a technical difference, but I'm curious if it's noticeable?

Thanks!

Too much calculation (and extra time/energy to rack part of the brew to a bottling bucket and the rest to a keg). Remember - I keg and just use the bottles to judge aging.

If I put 3/4 cup of corn sugar in the batch and then kegged 4/5ths of it - I am positive I would not like the results ;)

It is just much easier to drop some pre-measured drops into the bottles, then put the rest of the batch directly into the keg.

- on Munton's. Like many others, I have had white floaties in my beer from using Munton's carbtabs. It wouldnt be so bad it they would settle but they float right at the top and end up in my glass.

In addition to the yeast, that would give our non-homebrewing friends something else to question!! I can just hear my buds now, "What's this #$#@ on the bottom? Nevermind, what's this #$#@ on the top?"

In addition to the yeast, that would give our non-homebrewing friends something else to question!! I can just hear my buds now, "What's this #$#@ on the bottom? Nevermind, what's this #$#@ on the top?"

Hahah!

I know what you mean, today I was bottling Blue Moon clone and I had orange peel + coriander (instructions didnt say to crush it, since brew date I've learned its better) that kept clogging up my Little Bottler (bottling attachment that came with my Coopers brewery). I would imagine how nice it would be to find all that junk inside of bottles.

I used to be kinda active on the forums a while back when making my wine, but had to take a break (work got the best of me for the longest time), and now I'm back to try my hand at making beer.

So, on with the rookie questions before I start my brew:
Is there any way to carb my beer without the leftover yeast layer on the bottoms of the bottles in the end? I personally don't mind (I drink from a glass anyhow), but I can imagine some of my friends sitting around sipping from the bottle complaining.

And do the Cooper's drops create less yeast on the bottom, or is it generally just the same?

I used to be kinda active on the forums a while back when making my wine, but had to take a break (work got the best of me for the longest time), and now I'm back to try my hand at making beer.

So, on with the rookie questions before I start my brew:
Is there any way to carb my beer without the leftover yeast layer on the bottoms of the bottles in the end? I personally don't mind (I drink from a glass anyhow), but I can imagine some of my friends sitting around sipping from the bottle complaining.

And do the Cooper's drops create less yeast on the bottom, or is it generally just the same?

Go read this...then teach your friends to appreciate LIVING beer, instead of that dead, filtered to the point of flavorless-ness and crappy bud/miller and coors....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1379528-post2.html

Be more concered about them appreciation the flavor of real beer rather than if it has any sediment....if you follow the suggestion I posted, and pour properly you won't get any sediment in the glass.

Sediment is not really a concern...Since good beer is drunk from a glass, it shouldn't matter if you leave a little yeast behind in the bottle.......

i love these for my test batches. i bottled half of my oaked apfel carbed with these and in a week ( thats just when i tried it) it was nicely fizzy

- on Munton's. Like many others, I have had white floaties in my beer from using Munton's carbtabs. It wouldnt be so bad it they would settle but they float right at the top and end up in my glass.
I too have seen the white floaties. I added some Muntons tabs to my Apple cider and it has been sitting at room temp for 3 days now with the floaties. Not very appealing. I wonder if it because I added them to some cold bottles straight from the fridge?

Latest posts

Back