where can i fill a CO2 tank in Christiansburg VA?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretsforlife

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been calling just about every welder in town with no luck. I live in the Christiansburg area of Virginia and am starting to think I am the only one in the area with a keggerator. Does anyone know where I can get a 5 lb tank filled?
Thanks,

There should be an Arcet near you over at radford. They do exchanges though.

arcet.com

hope that helps.

Just hit up Arcet and did an exchange. I wasn't crazy about giving up my shiny tank, but there isn't a single place around here that fills them, not even the paint ball shops (they don't have the adapters to fit 5 pounders). Thanks a lot for your replies!

I use Arcet for my 5# tanks too; The benefit is that you'll always have a tank with current inspections and don't have to pay the 5 year fee of a hydrostatic test. it's not all that expensive either.

on my 4# tanks I have to use a fill company since Arcet doesn't do swaps on odd shaped customer owned tanks. That actually costs me more than the swap of the 5#'er :/

getting a refilling is a pain. just swap it, look at it as owning the storage capacity, not the specific tank.
that way the date cert always rolls over.

If you have an Oxarc in your area and go big (75-100 cubic foot range) they will come to your house and swap tanks, no delivery charge.

Updating this thread for anyone in the area looking. I just refilled my 5# CO2 container at HyTest (http://www.hytestinc.com/) for $10. They charge $2 a pound. Vintage Cellar wants $20 for an exchange. I'm just not ok with an exchange if I can avoid it - I'm pretty particular about my gear.

Updating this thread for anyone in the area looking. I just refilled my 5# CO2 container at HyTest (http://www.hytestinc.com/) for $10. They charge $2 a pound. Vintage Cellar wants $20 for an exchange. I'm just not ok with an exchange if I can avoid it - I'm pretty particular about my gear.
Thanks for that! I just moved to the area and gave them a call and they still refill so that’s perfect!

$4/lb

Thanks for that! I just moved to the area and gave them a call and they still refill so that’s perfect!

$4/lb
Although double from 9 years ago, that's probably a very OK price now for a 5# tank refill.

Alas, for a 20# tank refill that would be pushing it.
6 months ago I paid $46 for a 20# tank swap, which seems to be about the going rate now (in my area).

$4/lb
There's an Airgas right around the corner from them but I'd go with the refill. A 5lb swap is around $25 from Airgas. I've been filling my fives off my 20 lber so not exactly sure on the price but it is definitely more than $20 for the fives.

Yea my Homebrew shop back in ATX was $15 for a refill, so an extra $5 isn’t terrible. But I do miss the days of $10 refills/swaps.

I also dig refills over swaps, so I can keep my tanks for the kegerator(in process of building a new one after the move,) but currently I’m using them to refill my soda stream tanks cause I’m not paying $17 for a 14.5oz replacement tank every time.

Latest posts

Back