Holy Carboy Batman!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grabbed 1 at my Walmart last summer ... They had 2 an 4 gls here. They work grate . How many time you think its ok to use these if I'm washimg them out well.

I'll have to keep that in mind! Speaking of good stuff, going to be up in GR again in a few weeks, gotta hit up founders

Water Bottles PET Large | $6.650+ in Case Qty | GBS

Found this, was looking for wholesale bottles and ran into this site
They're located in LA. During a visit to family, I got some bottles from them. The plastic 5 gal carboys are PET #1 and look like Better Bottle ones with handles. They also have 5 gal glass carboys for $26 and some other glass jugs like 1 gal and 1/2 gal ones that are useful for home-winemakers. The online prices listed are close, but not accurate. For example the 5 gal glass is listed for $22, but I paid $26. Everything else was pretty close. They are actually a wholesale company, but accepted my order though I was a retail customer. Of course, I was charged sales tax. One has to phone in their order ahead of time. After that pickup can be done on a will-call basis at the facility. I don't know what they'd charge for shipping. Very probably it would be prohibitive. I also bought some wine bottles from them, but the price was slightly higher than I'd have paid at my LHBS. My impression is that this is a good source if you can pick up yourself.

I pulled the trigger on a couple today. At $12.00 a pop, they really are hard to pass up. I justified it down to, A.) If they are good enough to store water, they should be good enough to store beer in. Neither of which are caustic. B.) With as much beer as I drink, I should be more worried about what the alcohol in the beer will do to me first! :cross:

Thanks for the tip!

Oh, for the KC people, I bought them at the Walmart in Lees Summit on 291-N.

Just found a bunch of <1> bottles here. I found the Better Bottle Style with the handles, but they were office property for the water cooler (not my office). Then on the way home I stopped and found some 5 gal ones at the local grocery store. I will try and get a picture later. They are thinner like the Liter water bottles. For $5... I picked up 2 for the water anyway, and I'll test them out. They might be too thin for real work. THEN on the way out the door... there was another companies 5gal water bottle deposit location! There was a bunch of <1> in the thicker no handle style. Those are $6 deposit tho. so I will keep my eye out for them.

my walmart has 5 gallon plastic water jugs but they dont say anywhere that BB makes em. They are for culligan water I don't know if they are safe to age in or not...

3 of the walmarts by me all have recyle style , drop your empty into locked bin and take new filled one.. Where can i get 2 today ,who else sells empty ones?

3 of the walmarts by me all have recyle style , drop your empty into locked bin and take new filled one.. Where can i get 2 today ,who else sells empty ones?

I have found the 5 gallon water bottles that are empty at my walmart. They were not up front, but in the back. I found them fairly near the aisle that has all the water filters and water coolers. The ones here do not state that they are made by BB, but somewhere in Mexico. They are reusable water bottles, so they should work. The price here is $7 ircc.

As far as Tennessee goes I have checked several places in Rutherford County. Walmart carries the #3 bottles while Lowes and Home Depot carry #7. Like Reaver my departments water cooler has half a dozen #1 sitting next to it. I have asked the secretary to inquire if empties can be bought from the supplier.

yes,I found the #3 at walmart with caps ...funny were $7 at one walmart $12.50 at another ,, the orange rubber caps dont fit the ones with caps unless you cut the neck .. make sure they are were you want them before installing airlock or when you try to move them. they will squirt and suck the fluid out of airlock ...

Has anyone found these in the DC/VA/MD area?

A little late, I know.
In the Greater Baltimore Area, I have found that the Giant in Catonsville, the Home Depot in Landsdown, and the Walmart in Landsdown all have rosin code 1 bottles filled with water (no indication yet on BB status). Until today I didn't know you could get them empty from any source other than my LHBS, so now I'll be looking for them.

The ones at Giant and Home Depot have handles, but they're solid plastic and don't hold liquid. But the ones at Walmart have the handles that are hollow and allow liquid inside of them. To me this is an inferior choice, since cleaning inside a handle is a pain in the ass.

PM me if you'd like me to keep you up to date on my scouring of the Baltimore area for water (Better) bottles.

Is the stamp located on the bottom of the bottle? I joined this forum site to specifically find a group of people talking about this subject. I just started homebrewing wine and had the same exact question on whether I could use the 5 gal jugs I bought for the water as a carboy. So I assume I just need to make sure it's a #1 PTE or #1 or 2 HDPE? Thanks for the help!

Is the stamp located on the bottom of the bottle? I joined this forum site to specifically find a group of people talking about this subject. I just started homebrewing wine and had the same exact question on whether I could use the 5 gal jugs I bought for the water as a carboy. So I assume I just need to make sure it's a #1 PTE or #1 or 2 HDPE? Thanks for the help!

the short answer is yes. That's what I do all my fermenting in. I don't own a single glass carboy. Just blue 5 gallon plastic water jugs.

the long answer is yes, but there is the issue of oxygen permeability through the plastic. But luckily I'm a high school science teacher and have dissolved oxygen probes. As soon as I can track down a glass carboy to be the control group, I'm going to track dissolved oxygen concentrations over a period of a year and see what I get.

the short answer is yes. That's what I do all my fermenting in. I don't own a single glass carboy. Just blue 5 gallon plastic water jugs.

the long answer is yes, but there is the issue of oxygen permeability through the plastic. But luckily I'm a high school science teacher and have dissolved oxygen probes. As soon as I can track down a glass carboy to be the control group, I'm going to track dissolved oxygen concentrations over a period of a year and see what I get.

Any info on the above mentioned experiment?

Back