• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

14 or maybe 7 gallon Tri Clamp Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jukas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Title says it all, looking for a 14 gallon (though I'd consider a 7gal for the right price) conical with tri clamp fittings.

I'd prefer a local cash pickup somewhere in the Northern California area (Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Ukiah, Sonoma County, Marin County, SF, San Jose, Santa Clara etc) but would consider a non local one assuming seller is willing to ship.

Ideally looking for something like a more beer, blichmann, stout line, though I'd definitely consider a brewhemoth.

It's pretty rare to find someone selling used. I was looking until I just bought mine from stout. Try eBay for stout tanks, they have a 7gallon from time to time or search Craigslist or allofcraigslist. Just my opinion.

I agree with Robg773, I've been looking as well and they are far and few between. Good luck with your search

Mine new was around $750 shipped. 14.5 gallon with all the options from stout. Locking casters, butterfly valves, thermowell, 3in hole in lid for dry hopping. Best value I could find and didn't want to wait around for used bc wait time for custom fermenter from stout is already long enough. Good luck.

Here's a pic next to a 12 gallon shop vac to get an idea of its size.

image-2805256033.jpg

Here a pic with the clamping ring and top..the ring just wraps around and clamps down. Let me know if you need another pic. I'll take one. If you look closely the clamping part of the ring is front and center.

image-2378570344.jpg

No problem ask away because I had lots or questions before I pulled the trigger.

Since it was what stout calls custom or special order, over 3 months.

Robg773 said:
Since it was what stout calls custom or special order, over 3 months.

John has short 14.5g with a 3"TC in the lid but without casters in stock now.

I've got two used conicals up in the air ATM, if they fall through its likely between the stout 14.5 and a brewhemoth for me.

John has short 14.5g with a 3"TC in the lid but without casters in stock now.

I've got two used conicals up in the air ATM, if they fall through its likely between the stout 14.5 and a brewhemoth for me.

Yeah I see that but i think the 3" TC in the lid is custom as well as the casters. I can tell you that w/o the casters idk how i would move it bc with only 5gal in there its pretty heavy. I also have the butterfly valves which increased the cost also but are very convenient and easy to clean. I'm all about low maintenance, easy to clean, and less equipment.

Robg773 said:
Yeah I see that but i think the 3" TC in the lid is custom as well as the casters. I can tell you that w/o the casters idk how i would move it bc with only 5gal in there its pretty heavy. I also have the butterfly valves which increased the cost also but are very convenient and easy to clean. I'm all about low maintenance, easy to clean, and less equipment.

I had John quote me on a 14.5g short conical, with thermowell, thermometer, racking arm, and upgrade to butterfly valves on both racking and dump port with a 3" tc in the kid with a welded 90 deg hose barb and the total came to right about $700 including shipping.

That didn't include casters, but if you're going to put this in a ferm chamber that isn't a walk in casters are kind of pointless IMHO as you aren't going to be able to lift well this with 11g of wort in it.

I'm assuming people are using pumps to move wort from the kettle to the conical.

Honestly the morebeer heated/cooled looked the nicest, but I just haven't been able to justify the price tag. Right now the brewhemoth and the stout are t the top of my list. Both have pluses and minuses. My goal is to figure out how I want to handle temperature control and I think that will form the final decision.

Jukas...that sounds about right. And temp control is definitely a consideration. My plan is a frig with regulated temp. Just roll it in when full and yeah a pump to move the wort. Equipment and $ starts adding up quick. As well as space for everything.

Jukas...that sounds about right. And temp control is definitely a consideration. My plan is a frig with regulated temp. Just roll it in when full and yeah a pump to move the wort. Equipment and $ starts adding up quick. As well as space for everything.

Unless you have a walk in, I'm not sure how you'll safely roll into a fridge? Most of them have a 14-20" lift you'll have to account for. Personally I'd think it would be far safer to put the empty conical in the fridge and then pump the wort into it.

Also still one last ditch effect to find a used one, before I give in and order a brewhemoth.

I have a 14.5 Stout conical. I use a Kenmore upright freezer to control temps on it. I put the fermenter in empty and fill it while it's in there. there is plenty of clearance above to dump in... Or pump in if you wish.

Jukas said:
Seriously? :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with being picky or choosy but you're definitely gonna lose either time or money no matter how you slice it. Btw I just used mines for the first time. Nothing fancy but maybe it'll excite you to make a choice and start brewing. Good luck!

image-3818244163.jpg

Nothing wrong with being picky or choosy but you're definitely gonna lose either time or money no matter how you slice it. Btw I just used mines for the first time. Nothing fancy but maybe it'll excite you to make a choice and start brewing. Good luck!

That's a nice looking conical you got there! Stout now stocks ones like that without the casters as a standard item. I've brewed four batches since originally posting this WTB add so lacking a conical isn't preventing me from brewing thankfully.

I want a conical, but I don't need one which means I can be patient looking for a second hand one, and really mull over the new options. :rockin:

Couldn't resist!

The 27 came in ; ) 22 gallons of hi-test Dark strong in there right now!

Nothing wrong with taking your time when plunking down for equipment, it does get in the way of all my reckless impulsiveness though : )

image-767813021.jpg

Back