I will never....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
complain about bottling again. Me in all my wisdom thought it would be cool to bottle the Westmalle Triple clone I brewed into Belgian beer bottles. So I bought the bottles, the corks, wire hoods, and hand corker. After about 30 minutes I realized I needed help so I got the SWMBO in to lend a hand. It took a while but we got all 24 bottles corked and wired. Looks cool as hell but so not worth the effort.

I'll never complain about bottling "normal' bottles again!

I will never try to add and stir the mash while the baby is crying. I rushed the stirring and things didn't get mixed well enough and the efficiency was crappy. I didn't even check the temp so that might have been way off too.

The only way I would bottle a batch again would be to cork a Three Philosopher's Raspberry clone for Christmas gifts.

I will never...dismiss any new method of brewing again. I left brewing before BIAB caught on. I got back into the hobby and found this wonderful way of brewing. I read up, studied, and said "yeah". I still use my three tier in good weather, but my eBIAB, dual element 120v 2200w element 8 gallon (5 gallon batch limit is the only drawback) with a temp controller on one element is a thing of heaven. I am older now, and wiser? Also I moved and lost all brew buddies. So standing outside in the cold (my boat gets the garage in winter) lost all its luster. I can brew warm and cozy in a zero degree blizzard. BIAB saved me for this hobby. I wanna trick the system out when my new kettle comes in(10 gallon for bigger beers). But I can do all of that in the toasty warmth of my home, and not out in the snow.

The only way I would bottle a batch again would be to cork a Three Philosopher's Raspberry clone for Christmas gifts.

I will never...dismiss any new method of brewing again. I left brewing before BIAB caught on. I got back into the hobby and found this wonderful way of brewing. I read up, studied, and said "yeah". I still use my three tier in good weather, but my eBIAB, dual element 120v 2200w element 8 gallon (5 gallon batch limit is the only drawback) with a temp controller on one element is a thing of heaven. I am older now, and wiser? Also I moved and lost all brew buddies. So standing outside in the cold (my boat gets the garage in winter) lost all its luster. I can brew warm and cozy in a zero degree blizzard. BIAB saved me for this hobby. I wanna trick the system out when my new kettle comes in(10 gallon for bigger beers). But I can do all of that in the toasty warmth of my home, and not out in the snow.

I use BIAB and have made outstanding beers with it. I've found about 17lbs of grain is about as big of a beer that I can make with my current equipment.

I will never.....assume that one part of brewing is the most important. Your cleaning and sanitation can be great, but if your water is no good..... If your water is good, but your fermentation temperature control sucks..... If your fermentation temperature control is great but your SG, OG or FG aren't right.....,etc, etc, etc. I believe they are all important and you should always try to do the best you can at every step in the process.

The Floor Corker is your friend! I brewed my first batch of beer (Biere de Garde) a few months ago and thought it would be a perfect fit for all of my used North Coast 750 ml bottles. It was a little intimidating at first but once I dialed in the cork depth, super easy. In fact, I bottled a few in 12 oz bottles so that I could use them to 'test' the progress of the carbonation over time and the difference was night and day. Being new to this hobby I have very little advice to offer anyone, except, if you want to go with Belgian bottles, corks and the wire hoods, this is well worth the investment.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/portuguese-floor-corker.html

Back