Off aftertaste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully20331

Reaction score
My recent APA batch came out great with good color, clarity, head, etc. It tastes great but has a 'bite' after you drink. Im trying to figure out what would cause that and have narrowed it down to tap water possibly being too hard, using distilled water to top-off, or fermenting tempature being wrong (65degrees for 3 weeks). Thoughts?

sounds like it could still be a bit green. how long has it bottle conditioned? the taste will likely fade after time. just be patient and try one every week until it tastes how you want it. then note the age for the next time you brew it.

Did you hit your gallon mark before and after the brew. Did you have under 5 gallons into the carboy?

Maybe there is something going around; I just tasted my attempt at Edwort's IPA and it tastes ok initially but there is as sharp tangy taste, actually it's more of a feeling, that hangs around. It gets pretty annoying about 3/4 of the way through a glass. I wonder if it's something that ever goes away?

Temperatures look ok, is this beer bottled or kegged? They could be possibly overcarbonated. Bite could also be a beer that's finished slightly too dry for your taste.

What brand and type of yeast did you use. I've had the same issues with a few batches using nottingham

What brand and type of yeast did you use. I've had the same issues with a few batches using nottingham
Just did my very last batch with Nottingham. It was an 11 gallon batch of mild. Half with Nottingham, and half with S-04. The Nottingham keg has a lingering wrongness.

In my case, I do believe my yeast was Nottingham, but I will have to check my notes. I used magnum, cascade and centennial in the boil and cascade for dry hopping.

it was nottingham yeast. And for those who asked, it was bottled and i was at 5gal on the nose.

hard water could bring out more of the hop oils so could of added a little more of a bitter bite from the bittering addition!! i dont add any hops until 20min besids my bittering because i found that most recipes that call for a 45-30 min addition of hops adds a little more bite and like waiting untill 20 because it seems to balance out a little better for my process :)

I have lost all faith in tape water, because its just to damn unpredictable.
RO water is the way to go for everything !!!!

Latest posts

Back