Thoughts on using Old Bay seasoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to do a mini batch of Gose for sometime and in the family tradition of using Old Bay seasoning on near anything (we summer in Delaware where it's crab country) thought I might replace the salt.

Not expecting much for responses here as it's a rare idea (already tried the search future for Old Bay) and Gose is a rare style. Let me know thoughts/inputs! Thanks.

Well if you want to know how to comes out in beer make a tincture. Get some vodka and soak the Old Bay in it for a week or so. Separate the liquid from the solids (coffee filter works fine) and add some of that tincture drop-wise into a light beer that won't cover up the Old Bay flavor. If it even turns out to taste good, figure out how much of that flavor you're going to want (in # of drops) and then scale up from your beer sample volume to a 5 gallon volume.

Hope that helps. A Google search resulted in no mentions of adding Old Bay to a brew.

its awesome in a bloody mary, i know that doesnt help, but now i want a bloody.

Oh man... I never knew a post could be both off-topic and so-very-on-topic at the same time.

It must be the quantum superstate of forums.

Resurrection! I've been thinking this very same thing. My wife's family is from MD and old bay goes on a lot of foods in our house, and beer if a must have while eating crabs. I want to take a very light tasting beer and use some lemony and/or peppery hops and dose it with Old Bay. My worry was the salt, and the best time to add, but this tincture idea sounds great. If anyone has tried it, PLEASE let me know

i might try something like this. i am always amazed at what salt does for the gose- and everyone that drinks it, doesn't finger the salt until i tell them it's in there. i don't know if the light coriander and tart taste of the gose would compliment the old bay, but i do think something would...
i'm going to give this some thought and research...
think i'll do the tincture thing- sounds like michelada, so i'm thinking maybe a pils

Try old bay spices minus the salt:

1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
6 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon whole cardamom pod
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 teaspoon mace

Boil some crabs in the wort!

clip_image020.jpg

With all the craziness of Flying Dog's Dead Rise here in Maryland I thought it would be nice to resurrect this thread. http://flyingdogbrewery.com/beers/dead-rise/ Gotta say, I don't really care for it. Most of the people that I know that have tried it say...."Well at least I tried it". Does have the Old Bay taste at the finish, so there's that.... But got to give them Kudos for marketing. Crabs and Old Bay are a Maryland staple, so the masses will at least try it, and I'm sure many will love it.

I googled and found this simply because I'd like to replicate the Dead Rise brew... any help would be appreciated. :)

Well if you want to know how to comes out in beer make a tincture. Get some vodka and soak the Old Bay in it for a week or so. Separate the liquid from the solids (coffee filter works fine) and add some of that tincture drop-wise into a light beer that won't cover up the Old Bay flavor. If it even turns out to taste good, figure out how much of that flavor you're going to want (in # of drops) and then scale up from your beer sample volume to a 5 gallon volume.

Hope that helps. A Google search resulted in no mentions of adding Old Bay to a brew.

So do you then add the flavored vodka... post fermentation? I'm not sure how to apply this to the full brew process. or where/when?

My dad printed me a copy of an article about Flying Dog and their use of Old Bay - from the facts about a 50bbl batch of theirs, maybe a Saison with Old Bay, I calculated about 4.5-5 oz - not quite a whole tin. Intriguing, but think I'd do a 1 gal test batch first.

Back