Easy question please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KilhavenBrew

Reaction score
I usually buy different yeast than WhiteLabs.f Wyeast and dry. I bought a white labs vial and noticed two things. Anyone know the answers please?

1. It is less than half full with the goo at the bottom which looks like light brown clay. This is the yeast. Is it only supposed to be less than half full? Maybe 45% full of the yeast.
2. The rest of the liquid is pretty clear, and obviously seperated. Anyone know what that liquid is?

1 because I want to know I have enough yeast. 2 just because I am curious.

Thank you,
Pete

I usually buy different yeast than WhiteLabs.f Wyeast and dry. I bought a white labs vial and noticed two things. Anyone know the answers please?

1. It is less than half full with the goo at the bottom which looks like light brown clay. This is the yeast. Is it only supposed to be less than half full? Maybe 45% full of the yeast.
2. The rest of the liquid is pretty clear, and obviously seperated. Anyone know what that liquid is?

1 because I want to know I have enough yeast. 2 just because I am curious.

Thank you,
Pete

The amount of yeast you need depends on the OG of your beer and the age of that yeast. You likely need a starter. The "goo" in the bottom is the yeast, the rest is just wort. When you are ready to use, shake to resuspend the yeast, wait a few minutes and then pitch (probably into a starter).

The 'clay goo' is the yeast. When it is packaged they put it in some liquid - distilled water, or something. I do know that it is ok to put into the beer. If you could see inside the slap pack from wyeast you'd see about the same sort of stuff, liquid, clay goo and the nutrient pellet.

1 vial is ok for a standard 1.040-1.050 pitch although www.mrmalty.com has a calculator for pitch rates.

And yes the 1/2 full of yeast is how white lab vials look, a good shake and it all goes back into suspsension.

Thanks guys. Just making sure half a vial of Goo is what they sold me and not a full vial that was half used.

I appreciate the replies.

Back