First Cut @ Double IPA Recipe...Critique me!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
Here is my first take on a Double IPA I am looking to make. My goal with this brew was to have slight malty profile with a darker orange hue. I wanted it to have a mild malt flavor but not so much that the hops wouldn't shine through.

I also wanted to hit 100IBU's and 10%.

I wanted to add American, Noble and English hops, and I threw a curve ball and added a Japan hop as well.

Without further adue here is my recipe:

Batch Size: 3.5gal
Efficiency: 65%
Est. OG: 1.099
Est. FG: 1.018
Est. ABV: 10.9%
IBU's: 100.1
SRM: 14.6
Mash @ 148 degrees

Grains
2 Row - 9lbs (2.0 SRM)
Maris Otter - 4lbs (3.0 SRM)
CaraCrystal - 1.5lbs (45 SRM)

Hops
Falconers Flight - 1.25oz @60 min
Pilgrim - 1.00oz @20 min
Spalt - 1.00oz @ 10min
Sorachi Ace - 1.00oz @10min
Falconers 7C's - 1.00oz (Dry Hop 7 Days)

Yeast
WLP001

Let me know what you think?

Why bitter with falconers flight? Are you looking for a lot of body? My DIPAs have a little corn suger to dry things out.

dmckean44 said:
Why bitter with falconers flight? Are you looking for a lot of body? My DIPAs have a little corn suger to dry things out.

Chose FF just because it's a newer limited release and I liked it's profile

Not a whole lot of body, but some

Falconers Flight is generally used as a late addition for aroma and flavor. It's a mix of Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and other hops. Bittering with it is basically wasting it.

dmckean44 said:
Falconers Flight is generally used as a late addition for aroma and flavor. It's a mix of Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and other hops. Bittering with it is basically wasting it.

Hmmm I figured because of the high AA's I could use it for bittering.

How would you suggest I move my hop schedule around? Maybe trade the falconers 7C's with FF?

WAY too much crystal malt.

If you want orange color, use some Munich malt in place of some of the maris otter and definitely take out at least 1/2 of the crystal malt. For a 3.5 gallon batch, I'd use .5 pounds of crystal at the most.

You won't taste the spalt over the falconer's flight hops.

Yooper said:
WAY too much crystal malt.

If you want orange color, use some Munich malt in place of some of the maris otter and definitely take out at least 1/2 of the crystal malt. For a 3.5 gallon batch, I'd use .5 pounds of crystal at the most.

You won't taste the spalt over the falconer's flight hops.

Can do on the malts....

You recommend removing spalt altogether?

Can do on the malts....

You recommend removing spalt altogether?

I love spalter hops! They are "clean" and make a great lager. But I think that sorachi ace is so lemony and FF so citrusy that it will just get lost in there. Why are they in there? If you just want to use them up, then leave them. But if you want to have that fine "noble hop aroma", you won't get that from this recipe.

I'm more of a simple IPA maker- I'd bitter with a neutral bittering hop like magnum, galena, warrior. Then I would use two or three varieties that played well together for flavor, aroma, and dryhopping.

I love spalter hops! They are "clean" and make a great lager. But I think that sorachi ace is so lemony and FF so citrusy that it will just get lost in there. Why are they in there? If you just want to use them up, then leave them. But if you want to have that fine "noble hop aroma", you won't get that from this recipe.

I'm more of a simple IPA maker- I'd bitter with a neutral bittering hop like magnum, galena, warrior. Then I would use two or three varieties that played well together for flavor, aroma, and dryhopping.

I actually havent even purchased them yet, I just wanted to have one of each hop (english, noble, american) and I threw in Sorachi Ace as a "curve ball"; if possible I would like to stay with that mindset and move/sub hops to a point where they mesh well together.

I chose the Falconner's series because they are limited and I was excited to use them in an IPA, so I thought what better than a DIPA.

For the grains I now have:

2-Row - 8lbs
Munich - 4.0lbs
Maris Otter - 2.0lbs
CaraCrystal - 0.5lbs

This puts my SRM @ 12.8 and gives me a pretty nice orange hue

Latest posts

Back