Bottling an 11.9% stout - tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soma

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle the strongest beer I've made to date. Should I take any special considerations when bottling this? I'm worried that the beer will undercarbonate. Some info on the stout:

OG 1.110
FG 1.023
77 IBU, 37 SRM, 11.9% abv / 9.2% abw

This beer fermented for 8 days in the primary with wyeast 1056 and 100 days in a cool secondary. Should I re-yeast at bottling? Thanks for any help you can provide.

While it is likely there would be enough yeast left to carbonate it may take a while longer with such a high ABV beer. I would add a packet of yeast at bottling to be safe.

I have experience in this. You need new yeast, almost definitely (depending a lot on what strain you used, how long you fermented for, and if you did a secondary) but almost definitely yes. I would rehydrate about a quarter of a packet of champagne yeast. Put it in the bucket along with your cooled priming solution, rack the beer in. You might not NEED to do this, but it will certainly save you the heartache of having a beer not carb.

Nice thread.

I have an oat stout (9 days in primary with airlock activity so I have not done a hydrometer reading yet). I did not plan 100 days in secondary although I have no real plan at all for this.

But staying on topic, I will be excited to hear your progress with your stout. I think it will help me out:)

Back