Multi-tap tower out of regular tower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
OK so here is my idea. I have a summit kegerator that will hold 4 cornies. Currently I have a 3in tower with a single tap on it. I want 4 cornies on tap....

IDEA

I want to build a nice wooden box with a hole in the bottom and "attach it" to my tower. Like shown below (30 sec photoshop so dont start :cross: ).
23208431785.jpg

I'm pretty sure my carpenting is good enough to build the box. But Im stuck on how to attach it to the tower to give a solid feel. Should I use epoxy? Screws or anythign else? Has anyone attempted this before? I will be making a DIY out of this if I can get it to work good.

Thanks

gonzoflick said:
OK so here is my idea. I have a summit kegerator that will hold 4 cornies. Currently I have a 3in tower with a single tap on it. I want 4 cornies on tap....

IDEA

I want to build a nice wooden box with a hole in the bottom and "attach it" to my tower. Like shown below (30 sec photoshop so dont start :cross: ).
23208431785.jpg

I'm pretty sure my carpenting is good enough to build the box. But Im stuck on how to attach it to the tower to give a solid feel. Should I use epoxy? Screws or anythign else? Has anyone attempted this before? I will be making a DIY out of this if I can get it to work good.

Thanks

depends on what the tower is made of.
What "I" would do is to get a flange just like the one on the bottom of the tower and weld or glue (depending on the mat.) and attach the "box" to it just like the tower is to the fridge.

If I understand you, you don't want to put your wooden head directly on the cooler, you want it on top of the tower right? If that is the case I would drill a couple of small holes in the top of the tower and use small self-tapping sheet metal screws. that is what I did when I attached my tower extension. I have a cooler that holds four cornies that came with a single tap tower. I bought a two tap tower extension and put it on top of he existing tower and now have three tap lines.

Sounds like its going to be 75% new stuff anyway, why not just rip off the old tower and build a new one?

I digress, the tower should have a top cover piece that well in my case is removable. Drill it out for the beer lines to feed it into the new tower head, screw it to the new tower head, then get some fancy chrome plated screws and screw it to the tower piece.

But thats still going to leave a hole where the old tap was, and your more than likely going to have to replace the towers shank.

I am planning on getting 4 new nipple shanks for the wooden box. The flange idea from above sounds good but I would still need to A) Find a flange and B) attach it to the metal somehow w/out welding it.

gonzoflick said:
I am planning on getting 4 new nipple shanks for the wooden box. The flange idea from above sounds good but I would still need to A) Find a flange and B) attach it to the metal somehow w/out welding it.
Short self tapping sheet metal screws.

I know this will be a stupid question to some...but... How do I screw in the sheet metal screws when the inside diameter of the tower is only 3in (to short to fit in a regular screwdriver)

gonzoflick said:
I know this will be a stupid question to some...but... How do I screw in the sheet metal screws when the inside diameter of the tower is only 3in (to short to fit in a regular screwdriver)

See your thinking inside the box right now, you need to think OUTSIDE the box..

Hey I was thinking about this on my drive home from work.

What if you drilled 4 holes on each side of the tower and used small nuts and bolts threaded through the tower and L brackets on the bottom piece of your box.

You're right that it would be hard to get a screw driver down there but you could easily get a socket wrench in there.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

gonzoflick said:
OK so here is my idea. I have a summit kegerator that will hold 4 cornies. Currently I have a 3in tower with a single tap on it. I want 4 cornies on tap... But Im stuck on how to attach it to the tower to give a solid feel.

How are you at welding? I'm thinking 1/4" stainless steel... :D

heinz57 said:
I do believe in the thread about the tower he used PVC and fittings.

I think greenhornet meant that the starter of this thread is talking about using his existing metal tower.

gonzoflick

As MadWeezel hinted, screw the four self taping sheet metal screws from the outside through the metal lip of the flange into the tower, or if the flange is narower through the tower into the flange. I'd use at least four, maybe six. Then use short pan head screws up through the other part of the flange into the wood box.

.........Box....................|
________________________________|
......._____ Flange
....|.|
....|.|.<<<<] Self tapping sheet metal screw
.T..|.|
.o..|....^
.w..|....^.Pan head wood screw
.e..|....^
.r..|...._
....|
....|
....|

I gotta agree with BierMuncher on this one. Jester's PVC tower looks great, why not just do that. The PVC won't cost much and you already have to buy the rest of the shanks, faucets, etc. I think it would be a lot easier and maybe eve more astheticially apealing.

You could drill your 3" tower. I had a tower with two taps, I drilled a third hole. It was not that hard. Start with a small bit and work your way up. You could drill one hole, then get one of those tower extender that attaches to the top, they make 2 hole ones.

me, personally, I would just order a new 4 hole, 4" from ACUMetal. probably cost you arond 125-150.
Draft Arms & Towers

Back