yeast to bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Heard some where i am suppose to stire up some yeast settlemnet before bottling beer. If so then it should bump up the abv?

You would only need to do this at bottling if you lagered for an extended period and are worried about having enough yeast in suspension to facilitate carbing. And this has nothing to do with ABV. By this time your yeast have already fermented any sugar. Some do however stir up the yeast when dealing with a stuck fermentation which should be done well before bottling.

No that won't raise the abv unless there were more fermnetables in the beer. If you are ready to bottle it, presumably the beer is finished fermenting, the only sugar the yeast that you kick up should then be consuming is the approximately 5 ounces of priming sugar you are adding.

The stirring up the yeast a bit just insures you have yeast transfer over to eat the sugar. I recommend that for folks who long primary or secondary where the yeast should have settled out of solution. When I long primary I tend to get really clear beer with a tight yeastcake left behind in primary, so I stir up the yeast slightly to make sure I do get yeast transferring over.

In other words.... If your beer has been fermenting for three or four weeks you will not want to stir up the yeast. You want to transfer to the bottling bucket while stirring up as little trub as possible.

In other words.... If your beer has been fermenting for three or four weeks you will not want to stir up the yeast. You want to transfer to the bottling bucket while stirring up as little trub as possible.

That's exactly the OPPOSITE of what I was saying. If you are long primarying or secondarying you DO want to kick up a little of the yeast when you rack over.

When I have a long primary or extended secondary I run the bottom of my autosiphon across the bottom of the fermenter when racking to kick some of the yeast back into suspension. I just rub it across the bottom once, let yeast flow for maybe 30 seconds or so, then lift up the AS off the bottom til the beer runs clear and carefully lower it back down. It will make a runnel and remain clear.

You're just kicking up enough yeast to guarantee that there's enough yeast to do the job. But if you are careful you are not making your beer any more cloudy.

Doing that my bottles still are all crystal clear and have little sediment in them.

Revvy said:
That's exactly the OPPOSITE of what I was saying. If you are long primarying or secondarying you DO want to kick up a little of the yeast when you rack over.

When I have a long primary or extended secondary I run the bottom of my autosiphon across the bottom of the fermenter when racking to kick some of the yeast back into suspension. I just rub it across the bottom once, let yeast flow for maybe 30 seconds or so, then lift up the AS off the bottom til the beer runs clear and carefully lower it back down. It will make a runnel and remain clear.

You're just kicking up enough yeast to guarantee that there's enough yeast to do the job. But if you are careful you are not making your beer any more cloudy.

Doing that my bottles still are all crystal clear and have little sediment in them.

My racking technique I guess is not the best so I am always guaranteed ysome yeast getting picked up regardless. However, even though your guarantee is probably best what do you think the chances are of not having enough yeast to carbonate after only a month primary are? I would think very small.

However, even though your guarantee is probably best what do you think the chances are of not having enough yeast to carbonate after only a month primary are? I would think very small.

Think about it this way....

his is my yeastcake for my Sri Lankin Stout that sat in primary for 5 weeks. Notice how tight the yeast cake is? None of that got racked over to my bottling bucket. And the beer is extremely clear.

150874_473504884066_620469066_5740814_2866677_n.jpg

That little bit of beer to the right is all of the 5 gallons that DIDN'T get vaccumed off the surface of the tight trub. Note how clear it is, there's little if any floaties in there.

When I put 5 gallons in my fermenter, I tend to get 5 gallons into bottles. The cake itself is like cement, it's about an inch thick and very, very dense, you can't just tilt your bucket and have it fall out. I had to use water pressure to get it to come out.

So without a cell counting microscope to know, I figure, if I have concrete in the bottom of my primary after a month, then it's better safe than starting an "my beer's not carbed" thread.

A little pass, seeing some yeast actually going through gives me a knowing that there is yeast there to do it's job.

*shrug*

Thnx for advice. Now do you simple give it a quick pass.et it site for 30 sec. And start siphon from the bottom or from middle of fermenter ?

And as far as abv. I was referring to the dextrose added for priming. Since it is a fermentable sugar right?

No. Really don't siphon 30 seconds of trub into your bottling bucket. If anything maybe just a trace amount.

Back