So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought magnum wasn't very big on flavor contributions and was more of a "clean bittering hop." I'd be curious what it brings to a smash...post your findings here?

Will do...It smells so good in the bag I can't help but think it will be nice in late additions, so I am to find out.

SN uses it throughout the boil and as a dry hop in Torpedo, which is a damn fine beer IMO.

Anybody else ever get this?

Me: so we got any plans for tomorrow?
Wife: nope, nothing at all, why.
Me: nuttin big, might brew some beer.
Wife: Oh god, why do you need to make more beer, you have beer upstairs
Me: (after mentally taking stock of whats upstairs) that beer is almost gone and i have grain thats been sitting around that i need to use.
Wife: fine, brew beer, whatever
Me: or i'll take the girls to the park and do whatever they and you want all day.

Please someone say im not the only one that goes through this. I wanna quit brewing because of this attitude but know that giving in isn't right. Should i get rid of the wife? Or just tell her to go eff herself?

mikeysab said:

Me: (after mentally taking stock of whats upstairs) that beer is almost gone and i have grain thats been sitting around that i need to use.
Me: or i'll take the girls to the park and do whatever they and you want all day.

Please someone say im not the only one that goes through this. I wanna quit brewing because of this attitude but know that giving in isn't right. Should i get rid of the wife? Or just tell her to go eff herself?

You like to brew, tell her it's your hobby and you're not going to stop. Just make sure that you make her happy when your not brewing. Happy Wife, Happy Life. Also helps to make things she likes (if not beer try hard cider or hard lemonade.

mikeysab said:

As long as you aren't spending every free second brewing or doing something beer related, and the family is taken care of, I don't see a problem with a couple hours of time spent brewing beer.

I've gotten the same attitude from swmbo, now I just brew when she is at work, and she doesn't have a problem with it, providing I don't blow all our savings on a full blichmann setup, which has been kinda tempting at times.

Well, ive brewed 10 gallons so far this year. Hardly taking up all my time. All my additions to the brewery have been DIY with a bare minimum spent on materials.....always. ive been unemployed for 3 months but take home more money than if i were working. Basically GAVE UP brewing this year and cant get away with brewing 10 measly gallons of wee heavy. WTF? Am i a ***** or do other people go through this?

My women loves my product to much to complain. She gets annoyed, but supports me because I like it. I spent 4 monthes building my kal clone, that caused some issues, mostly $$. She's a saver, I am a spender.

mikeysab said:
Well, ive brewed 10 gallons so far this year. Hardly taking up all my time. All my additions to the brewery have been DIY with a bare minimum spent on materials.....always. ive been unemployed for 3 months but take home more money than if i were working. Basically GAVE UP brewing this year and cant get away with brewing 10 measly gallons of wee heavy. WTF? Am i a ***** or do other people go through this?

Yeah, don't let her take your balls, if she does you'll never get them back. Too much pussin' ruins relationships, trust me, SWIMBO and I are still trying to reconcile after rolling over too much. Pick your battles, this one is good to start with.

Edit: You should probably move this to a new thread as not to hijack this one. :)

I'm going to do the NB Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter partial mash kit Saturday night. I haven't done a kit in awhile but this one sounded really good.

not this exact situation, but i sometimes get something similar. i tell the wife ahead of time, sometimes even a week ahead, that i'm gonna brew. then she ends up planning something else to do that includes the whole family. i have no problem doing family things, but it's just the thought that i've already told her that i had plans brew.

Planning a Cascade/Summit IPA and a Rauchbier (smoked beer) for Sunday. Anybody use smoked malt before? I've heard it is strong (flavor/smell) and that I should not use all that much. I've never had a Rauchbier until my brother brought a sixer to one of my beer tasting parties. Delicious!

Well its raining so no brewing today anyway but next sunny day ill be brewing 10 g scotch ale and 10 g centennial blonde. Ill mash one the night before, then mash the other while ones boiling. The tricky part will be fermenting. I have room in my chamber for 3 buckets. Maybe ill get ome saison yeast and hit 5g of the blonde with it and see what happens.

Hi All,

I went out on a cliff today and tried to be adventurous with ingredients. Always wanted to make my own recipe and here it is. This is a mix and match that I put together on hopville.com using the beer calculus. What a help!

Should be a darker IPA. I thought the alcohol would be higher but okay if what this is calculating. Anyone see any problems, please let me know.

Happy brewing!

malt & fermentables
6 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb. 0 Melanoidin Malt
1 lb. Chocolate Malt
3 oz. Black (Patent) Malt

Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity
1.120 measured (actual 1.14)
Final Gravity expected
1.016 / 4.1° Plato (1.014 to 1.017)

hops
boil 60 mins 1.0 oz. Centennial pellet 9.0
boil 60 mins 1.0 oz. Columbus pellet 14.4
Will dry hop 7 days 1.0 Cascade pellet 7.4

Boil: 4.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
67.8 IBU / 23 HBU

yeast
American ale yeast in liquid form

Alcohol
6.4% ABV / 5% ABW
Calories
211 per 12 oz.

Brewing an English Mild tomorrow. Going outside the box in the OG target, but that's the norm for me. :D Might be kegging part of a batch too (bottling the balance)... Depends on if I can pick up the kegs before we're set to start our brew session or not. Otherwise, I'll be looking to keg/bottle the batch that's due during the week.

I just brewed the AHS Winter Wonder Warmer kit. This was my first all grain beer, I had every intention of brewing that beer but extract. I had 68% efficiency and was done in 6 hours, not great but ok, and I did get my sparge stuck once because I had the valve open too much. I switched to all grain after stinking up the house with my imperial stout brew a few weeks ago I was banished to the patio for brewing. So I figured since I need a propane burner may as well make a mash tun and go all grain.

Did a last minute Citrus Wheat last night. Today I will be kegging the Strawberry Blonde and consuming some Citrus Wheat and Squeaker IPA :drunk:.

getting a 5 gallon batch of hard lemonade going while I wait for the rest of my brew supplies to come in. can't wait for my first beer!

What a NIGHTMARE brew day/night last night! I'm too exhausted to even reflect on it.

But looking over my numbers, this may turn out to be a decent beer.

i gots work this weekend. ugh. so glad i have a job, but ugh anyway.
perfect weekend weather to brew in PA.

Slims graham cracker ale sparging as I type

094219.jpg

Just racked 10 gallons of cascade, orange, corriander pale. Now I started the mash for 5 gallons of IPA. Beautiful weather this morning in Chicagoland!

Currently dealing with a stuck sparge for a belgian yeasted version of 2 hearted ale. I sure hope its worth all this mess and hassle!

Made my yeast starter Thursday, for my hefe brew day today. Tried to brew on a badly sprained ankle this morning and I just couldn't do it. Going up and down steps is the worst right now. Guess I'll be ready to go in a couple weeks when I plan on brewing again. Hope everyone has a good brew day today.

Brewed a single 12 gal batch of an Altbier yesterday, then split into 2 fermenters and used different yeast strains- WLP029 (German Ale/Kolsch) for the Alt, WLP007 (Dry English) for the experimental "Brown" (made with a large amount of German Pils malt). I plan on dry hopping the Brown with an ounce of Northern Brewer once fermentation completes. Both are currently bubbling at about 65F.

This is the first time I've ever done this. Anyone else ever brew 2 different beers using the same grain bill and kettle hops?

Cheers!!

BrightSpotBrewing said:
Brewed a single 12 gal batch of an Altbier yesterday, then split into 2 fermenters and used different yeast strains- WLP029 (German Ale/Kolsch) for the Alt, WLP007 (Dry English) for the experimental "Brown" (made with a large amount of German Pils malt). I plan on dry hopping the Brown with an ounce of Northern Brewer once fermentation completes. Both are currently bubbling at about 65F.

This is the first time I've ever done this. Anyone else ever brew 2 different beers using the same grain bill and kettle hops?

Cheers!!

I did ten gallons of cascade, orange, corriander ale, put into two buckets and used a different yeast strain with each. I just racked them this morning and added a dry hop...can't wait until next weekend!!!

We are hosting a guy from South Africa this summer so I showed him how I brew today. We made 5 gallons of a Brown Saison, my efficiency was a bit high finishing 2 points higher than expected. I ended with an OG of 1.055. Hopefully the fermentation will take place quickly so he can bottle some up to take back to South Africa.

Got an American Brown Ale mashin right now at 152!! :D Sipping on a fine scotish ale on the side :)

Back