The worst day ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pimp Juice

Reaction score
So I am at the end of a brew, after I fill the primary I shake it up to get some oxygen into it. While I am shaking I drop the primary and I have 4 gallons of cold stick wort all over the kitchen, and spreading.

So sad, hours wasted on cleaning and brewing...:(

Whenever I brew, my wife and I speculate about what the first major brewing disaster will be ...

Will I drop a carboy on the way to the basement? on the way up? will it involve propane? is the insurance paid?

nothing has happened yet outside of a sticky garage floor from a massive boilover... we know something WILL eventually happen ... we just arent sure what ...

Sorry to hear that. I've broken one like that and I feel your pain. It's a lot of time and money lost. Not to mention the clean up. Just consider it a sacrifice to the home brew gods...

I use O2 but if I was going to shake it I would do it on the floor. I just know I would drop that thing sooner or later. Sorry about the loss and I bet that was a mess to clean.

Then I guess my boil over today wasn't a very big deal in comparison:D .That had to really suck!I generally trash the kitchen when i brew but it's mostly water.
Cheers:mug:

Just look at new ways of aeration. Somewhere on the northern brewer boards I found a link (don't have it here) for a drill powered aerator.

Personally, when going from my CFC into my fermenter I run it through a strainer, and sit the tube up high and splash regularly. Probably isn't quite enough aeration, but it certainly foams the crap out of my beer, so I assume there's SOME extra air in there.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I have a milk crate for each of my carboys. The only time I ever lift it out of the crate is when it's empty and for cleaning...PERIOD!

I line the bottom of the crate with several layers of cardboard as a buffer.

homebrewer_99 said:
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I have a milk crate for each of my carboys. The only time I ever lift it out of the crate is when it's empty and for cleaning...PERIOD!

I line the bottom of the crate with several layers of cardboard as a buffer.

And thank you for that idea, BTW. Makes hauling carboys a LOT easier.

Although I have decided that if I ever get a carboy for primary, it'll be a Better Bottle; picked up a 6.5 gallon carboy at the HBS, and even empty that thing is a BEAST. Not going to lug one of those around.

Orpheus said:
Sorry to hear it, man.

I'm definitely going to be investing in one of those carboy carriers. I about crap my pants every time I carry a full carboy down the stairs.

My cellar (where I ferment) is a dangerous walk and long from the kitchen. I have to fit a new kitchen - i wonder if i could put in one of those dumb waiter things and then I can move it to the cellar which just happens to be directly below.

Or, get a water supply in cellar :tank:

Back