My pellicle, let me show you it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarp

Reaction score
4 weeks since pitching Wyeast Lambic Blend. Lookin' good...

beer66.jpg

1 oz of semi-cheesy Northern Brewer at 90 min, .5 oz of fresh Hallertauer at 20 min. 3 gal batch. I'll let it fester through the Winter.

Nice, my son says "hello", he recognized your avatar from the other site... Did you age your own hops?

Heh, not intentionally. These NB whole hops were already a year old when a co-worker who got out of brewing gave them to me. I just neglected them another 9 mos before tossing 'em into this brew.

I wish I could have gotten a good photo of my Flanders Red barrel before I had to move it. The pellicle basically looked like lake Michigan when the waves freeze over the top of each other.

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but hey, it's mine. :)

Just curious if any of you have experienced multiple pellicles. The one in the pic above became a complete crust and fell around Christmas. It's at about the six month mark now, and I thought this batch might be ready to pull a sample and possibly bottle, but I pulled the cover off yesterday and there's another full pellicle across the top.

Guess I wait...

my best guess is the first pellicle was the lacto, now you have the brett pellicle. sounds simple enough imo. i had a flemish red that was brewed 3/09. it had a weak quasi-pellicle that was prob mostly a lacto formation. it actually looked somewhat similar to your pic in the OP. re-racked it onto cherries after 10 months (late january) and here's a photo i took about 2 months ago. this pellicle has since dropped and now there's just a little growth on the cherries.
24374_562524998690_45900919_32713792_4052336_n.jpg

Back