Need help stocking my homebrew library

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cootr_brn

Reaction score
Brewing Books

Can someone point me to threads were brewing books were discussed. I have a few "homebrew" books but I am looking to expand my library.

I am looking for both "homebrew" and technical brewing books - what do you recommand?

Here are a few of the books that I have

Brew Chem 101: The Basics of Homebrewing Chemistry
by Lee W. Janson
ISBN-10: 0882669400
ISBN-13: 978-0882669403

A Taste for Beer
by Stephen Beaumont
ISBN-10: 0788167782
ISBN-13: 978-0788167782

Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Make Great-Tasting Beer
by David G. Miller
ISBN-10: 0882669052
ISBN-13: 978-0882669052

The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing
by Charlie Papazian
ISBN-10: 0380763664
ISBN-13: 978-0380763665

The home brewer's handbook
by Don Geary
ISBN-10: 0830624619
ISBN-13: 978-0830624614

Designing Great Beers-Ray Daniels

Great Book

Its a little dated, and lacking a few styles I like, but cant be beat for in depth analytical information. Its a reference more than a front-to-back reader, but as an Engineer I can appreciate that. To supplement that for Belgian styles, pick up "Brew like a Monk".

I have several books, including:

Brewing classic Styles
Homebrewers Bible
Clone Brews
Extreme Brewing
Radical Brewing
and a couple more not worth mentioning... basically all just recipe ideas.

+1 for Designing Great Beers, and anything by Papa Charlie. There's another one out there- Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers I think. It's off the wall, but if you're gonna have a library...

The two books I learned most from are Radical Brewing and Designing Great Beers. Pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of approach, so they complement each other quite nicely!

I am looking for both "homebrew" and technical brewing books - what do you recommand?
If you are looking for more technical books and books about homebrewing process, here are my top picks for general books:

1. How to Brew - John Palmer

2. New Brewing Lager Beer - Greg Noonan

3. Radical Brewing - Randy Mosher

4. Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels

I have read most of the popular homebrew books out there. My opinion is that these four are pretty much all you need.

The only other addition is a 'recipe' book, but highly recommended also if you want to learn to brew particular styles (particularly if you want to brew competitively): Brewing Classic Styles - Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.

Designing Classic Beers - Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.

Given this post was at 2:04AM EST I'm going to assume this was either a druck post or a regular typo... I think FlyGuy meant "Brewing Classic Styles" written by JZ and John Palmer.

Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels

New Brewing Lager Beer - Gregory J. Noonan

Brew Like a Monk - Stan Hieronymus

German Wheat Beer - Eric Warner

Given this post was at 2:04AM EST I'm going to assume this was either a druck post or a regular typo... I think FlyGuy meant "Brewing Classic Styles" written by JZ and John Palmer.

Too late, too many beers -- you got me! (Post corrected)

Don't forget the individual style titles in the Classic Styles Series. I have most of them, from Altbier to Stout, and they're all excellent references. See here for ordering.

Depending on your thirst for technical brewing knowledge, I highly recommend the following:

Noonan, New Brewing Lager Beer
Fix, Principles of Brewing Science
Daniels, Designing Great Beers
Lewis & Young, Brewing, 2nd Ed.

When you get further along and want some really in-depth reading, get a copy of Bamforth's Standards of Brewing. Lovely stuff.

All of which are available from www.beertown.org in the Store. Your LHBS might stock some of them.

Have fun!

Bob

Don't forget the individual style titles in the Classic Styles Series. I have most of them, from Altbier to Stout, and they're all excellent references. See here for ordering.

Depending on your thirst for technical brewing knowledge, I highly recommend the following:

Noonan, New Brewing Lager Beer
Fix, Principles of Brewing Science
Daniels, Designing Great Beers
Lewis & Young, Brewing, 2nd Ed.

When you get further along and want some really in-depth reading, get a copy of Bamforth's Standards of Brewing. Lovely stuff.

All of which are available from www.beertown.org in the Store. Your LHBS might stock some of them.

Have fun!

Bob

Second all of these and I will also add the out of print Analysis of Brewing Techniques by George and Laurie Fix. Hard to find (and don't buy the used copy on Amazon for $160, you can get it much cheaper than that) but good if you can find it.

Bamforth's book is kinda funny for something that is used as a text book. I should have gone to college for brewing.

Back