Brew like a monk...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbreiding

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished reading this book. It gives great insight on the difference between trappist, abbey and belgian style ales. Along with a long history on the monasteries still brewing beer.

I thought it was a great read for and for about $15 off of amazon it was well worth it.

If you want to try to understand how the monks brew and how the american craft brewers are adapting the styles this is a good book. Also if you are interested in brewing belgians yourself it gives some pretty good recipes along with mashing schedules and fermentation schedules to try out.

Next up is radical brewing.

I want to brew like a monk - brewing in a bathrope rocks :ban:

eeh, ill get my coat.
Jakob

what a life:
1. brew beer
2. drink beer
3. walk around in robes
4. eat cheese and meat and bread and beer

sTango said:
what a life:
1. brew beer
2. drink beer
3. walk around in robes
4. eat cheese and meat and bread and beer

But wouldn't those things be so much more fun without the vows of chastity and poverty?

Beerthoven said:
But wouldn't those things be so much more fun without the vows of chastity and poverty?

bah... why ruin my beer fantasies with things like reality and facts? ;-)

I finished it not that long ago and will prb go back to it numerous times in the future just because it's a satisfying read.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's not a "how to book" and focuses more on the history/culture/essence of Trappist & Belgian brewing. That said, there are a number of techniques and recipes in the book that will satisfy the leeme-brew-that urge.

Yes its not a "how to" book in that it lays everything out step by step. but if you read the book front to back and get a reference for the contents you can definitely build your steps out of it.

One thing that intrigued me is the talk about fermentation vessel size and orientation.

Back