Crushing Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Keep meaning to post this: When you have a grain bill that includes flaked grain, do you crush it or leave it as is and just mix it in with the remaining grains after crushing?

I crush the grains then add any rolled oats/barley or rice hulls as I add the crushed grains to the mash tun. Depending on the size of the grain bill, that could be during one, or more, pauses (to mix better/easier).

If you're uncertain try it both ways and compare results.

I crush the whole grains, then dump the flaked grains into the bucket with them and mix by hand ahead of time. Then dough-in as usual.

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago and was advised that you generally should not crush flaked wheat as it could cause a stuck sparge, especially if the flaked wheat is a significant portion of the grain bill. I had already mixed mine in with the other grains so I crushed it but it was only a half pound so I had no problems

Back