what went wrong and what will happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZ2U

Reaction score
I missed my initial gravity…target was 1.012 and I hit 1.045ish…maybe .048

Brewing AHS’ vanilla porter mini mash.

Everything by the numbers except I messed up the bittering hops in the boil. Didn’t realize I had not put them in till 50 minutes into the 60 minute boil. Added them ii, got volume back up to 5 gallon and boiled for another 30 minutes (80 minutes total) per AHS’s instructions on the phone.

So I have no idea what to do if anything since it is in the fermenter now. Also no idea what missing that mark the way I did will do if I don’t do anything more.

Any thoughts?

Umm..you likely lost all of the armoma/flavor hop profile, and are you serious when you say your target was 1.102!!!??? Were you making barleywine? If you missed to OG by 60 points then your beer is going to be WAAAYYYYY hoppy for the style you wanted.

I am relatively new to homebrewing, but my best (educated) guess would be that your brew will simply have a lower ABV than intended. It will probably have a less hoppy flavor than intended since you didn't put the hops in for the full boil. It might not be exactly what you wanted but should still be okay!

I am relatively new to homebrewing, but my best (educated) guess would be that your brew will simply have a lower ABV than intended. It will probably have a less hoppy flavor than intended since you didn't put the hops in for the full boil. It might not be exactly what you wanted but should still be okay!

Bittering hops aren't really for flavor...the majority/all of the delicate aroma and flavor compunds are driven off in the boil. Since he only boiled his bittering hops for 30 minutes, not all were lost, so hopefully the bittering hop was dual hatted for flavor as well or else you will get some unwanted hop flavors.

That's seems like a big miss. The missed hop wouldn't account for it. Can you post the recipe and your notes? At first guess, I would say you forgot to add something else...

.5 Cara Vienne Malt
.5 Crystal 60L
.25 Chocolate
1.75 2-row
.25 black roasted barley
1oz black patent
5lb amber extract
1oz norther brewer hops

White Labs Burton Ale

strike with 2 gal of 155 deg distilled water for 1 hour

boil as listed above...

Edited....1.102 was a typo :)

There were only bittering hops in this kit...no flavoring or aroma

Now you're really confusing me...are you seriously telling me now that your target OG was 1.012! Dude give me a break!

I'm guessing that 1.012 is your target final gravity. If this is case, 1.048 as the OG is right where you need to be.

That sound you just heard, that was my starter hitting an already moving flywheel followed by a pop when I pulled my head out of my ass! uhhh...its been a hell-of-a week, thats my excuse...and thank God its over.

Yes, I have lost my mind, 1.012 is the target FG.

I need to do the dishes, give the kids a bath and have a beer.

Back