scorched spot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
after transferring to my fermenter, I noticed a scorched spot about the size of a quarter on the (inside) bottom of my brew kettle.

I had turned the gas off before adding the extract, but I guess the bottom of the pot was still hot enough to scorch. Usually I still right away, but I guess I got side-tracked.

how severely will this affect my batch?

You may get some carmelly tastes from it. Some beers are improved by this taste. If you are interested in some historical information, people used to brew beer by taking large stones and heating them up in a raging fire. Then, they threw these stones into a kettle to let the hot rocks boil the wort. As you can imagine, these rocks carmelized all the sugars they touched, so beer made in this manner took a very dark carmel color and taste.

If your beer has too much carmel flavor (I doubt it), then tell people you were trying to replicate this ancient style. :rockin: :mug:

Depends on the batch: stout or porter you won't notice it at all.

I've had the same problem with my turkey burner, the loops that form the top are in the path of the flame and I'll get scorching unless I wait five minutes or so for them to cool.

ahoym8e said:
after transferring to my fermenter, I noticed a scorched spot about the size of a quarter on the (inside) bottom of my brew kettle.

I had turned the gas off before adding the extract, but I guess the bottom of the pot was still hot enough to scorch. Usually I still right away, but I guess I got side-tracked.

how severely will this affect my batch?
Here's a lesson learned that I experienced with malt scorches in my pots (yes, I have 2 of them)...they disappear after I brew mead. I haven't figured out the "why/how" yet, but it always works for me.:D

ha, thanks for the responses.

it was QUITE difficult to get the spot scrubbed off, and I am guessing that the pot might still be hiding a little of the scorch in the tiny crevasses (sp) that give it the "turned" look.

We'll see if I get scorching in the same spot all the time now...

Back