First brew - Dark Weizenbock (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonbrigade

Reaction score
I'm brand new to brewing, and I want to start with a Weizenbock, my favorite type of beer. I'm looking for a darker colored brew close in flavor to Live Oak Primus (which is superior in flavor and drinkability to Schneider Aventinus imho). I'm trying to bring out the banana and bubblegum esters, with hints of chocolate, raisin, plum, etc. Prefer sweeter (higher temp fermentation), not too hoppy.

Since I'm inexperienced, I figured I'd start with an extract version, and try an all-grain next time. From doing hours of Weizenbock recipe research and crunching ingredients in Beersmith, here's what I came up with that sounds like it should capture what I'm looking for:

6# Wheat Liquid Extract
4# Amber Liquid Extract
8oz Caramunich Malt
4oz Carafa II
4oz Crystal Malt 40L
4oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Special B
WYeast Weihenstephan #3068
1oz Spalt Hops (60m boil)
1oz Santiam Hops (5m boil)

Est OG 1.077 (average)
Est FG 1.018 (average)
12.1 IGU (below average)
26 SRM (above average)
Est ABV 7.9%

I wouldn't mind boosting some of the 4oz malts to add sweetness and fruitiness, although boosting any of them takes it well beyond typical Weizenbock darkness. Does it sound ok from a glance? I'm sure all grain is better/more authentic and I hope to get there soon. For now I just want to brew a good first batch.

I'm curious as well. Just tried primus and would do anything to brew something similar.

Latest posts

Back