wort filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
Made a big IIPA tonight and it was ridiculous trying to filter all the wort into the carboy. My funnel was clogging like crazy from all the hops. I was wondering what other people do to filter the wort the easiest/fastest way. I considered putting a coffee filter over the end of the siphon, do you think that would work well ever tried it? Any other techniques would be great, thanks.

Get what you can and dont worry about the rest. You can leave it behind when you rack it.

When I do IPA's Like that I put my hops in a hop bag. Keeps them from floating about in the beer.

I have also when Dry Hopping put my hop bag on the end of the racking cane or autoshiphon. It works fantastic. Keeps all the junk in the carboy. I use one of those reusable mesh ones.

We use long grain bags to filter. When we were doing extract we just held it open inside a bucket and poured it slowly in. Now we have a keggle and just put the output hose into the grain bag inside the bucket. Then the bucket is either ready to aerate and seal up as a Primary, or you can use your bottling bucket and drain into a carboy for Primary.

This is the easiest solution and gets almost everything, though it should be noted that removing the hops is not entirely necessary. We just think it's easier at before it's beer than after!

I actually sanitized cheesecloth and a very open strainer that fit perfect on my bottling bucket and slowly siphoned my beer through it into my bucket, took out all the huge chunks of hops that were present in my crazy hopped IPA and other junk

Latest posts

Back