Strong ale versus Barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both english style? Short answer would be that barleywines tend to be a little bit more attenuated and hoppier than a Wee Heavy

Strong ales are just under barlewines gravity-wise. And thus under in ABV as well. A wee heavy better get a wee heavier to equal a barleywine as I understand it. For example,the #1 Burton ale was a barleywine. If the glass didn't stick to the spill on the bar,it wasn't made right.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, however I have never heard of an English Wee Heavy only a Scottish Wee Heavy. What is an example of one, and how would it compare to the Scottish variety?

I was referring to the Scottish one by comparison. Not sure if the English have a version of it. Sam Adams did a wee heavy,but I wasn't impressed with it. Seems to me it was a special run 4 pack as well. Sierra Nevada has a bigfoot barleywine that's pretty good. We don't get too many imports of that nature around here,so it's hard to say. It's a once in a while,get it while it's there sorta thing around here. Been so long,I forget the names.

I see, well I will do some more research on finding a Wee Heavy to try out. I have tried Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine and I was very impressed by it. Thank you for the info unionrdr!

Latest posts

Back