Irish Red / Getting Started With All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok,

Tired father here...new baby in house, first in 13 years!

Here's my thing...

I've succefully brewed a handful of extract kits and was getting confident enough that I would try an irish red ale to bring to my wife's irish grandparent's house for st. patrick's day. They are no beer connaiseurs, but like Killian's.

So, poking around an online retailer (on little sleep and perhaps a bit too much beer) I ordered three kits and only upon receiving them understood the difference between all grain and extract kits...the instructions introduce more questions than answers.

So, I really have two separate issues that I'm confusing as one:

1 - if I order an extract kit for a Irish Red tonight, and it takes a week to get here. Do I have time to have it conditioned by March 16th or so?

2 - if I'm placing an order, I suppose I should order some hardware that will help get me ready for All Grain brewing. It sounds like I need a mashtun as well as some other stuff. Based on a basic extract setup (with two glass 5 gallon carboys) what other 'must have' stuff do I need. Would I be in way over my head to try a first all grain brew for this event?

3 - Ok, so I said two and there are three. These kits did not come with yeast. Any recommendations for an Irish Red and an American IPA?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Just started a Irish Red partial mash kit last Thursday, used Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 with a starter, it went like gangbusters for about 72 hours, has slowed to 2 bubbles a min. Will check SG and more than likely rack to secondary in the morning.

Back