big yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
Could I make a big yeast starter then let it completely ferment out. Then cold crash it, decant the wiry that is in it, then split the yeast up in to several vials. Then keep them refrigerated until I want to use one then do a normal starter with one of the vials and have a high enough cell count for a batch?

Could I make a big yeast starter then let it completely ferment out. Then cold crash it, decant the wiry that is in it, then split the yeast up in to several vials. Then keep them refrigerated until I want to use one then do a normal starter with one of the vials and have a high enough cell count for a batch?

Absolutely!! I take it a step further and freeze up portions of yeast so that they have a longer shelf life. It's also a lot cheaper to do it this way because you can turn one vial or smack pack into as much yeast as you want.

You can do that, but with the small vials, you would probably have make another starter. The longer they sit in the fridge, the lest viability they will have.

Cheers
:mug:

jwm1485 said:
So how much dme and water should I use?

All starters should be made with a 10:1 ratio so a 1L starter uses 100g DME, 2L at 200g and so on....

http://www.yeastcalc.com/

maybe try this. i like the stepping up option. then when you go to make your starter from the stored yeast you can input date for viability. also, has the calc for amt of dme to use per volume of starter.

Not to hijack but Im wondering this myself:
Can you step up with only using a one liter flask? And roughly how many jars of yeast can you get out of one wlp vial? Like say, you do a starter for 1 liter-how many jars can you get vs. doing a step up? And do you need to "wash" it because of the dme trub for the starter?

Can you step up with only using a one liter flask? And roughly how many jars of yeast can you get out of one wlp vial? Like say, you do a starter for 1 liter-how many jars can you get vs. doing a step up? And do you need to "wash" it because of the dme trub for the starter?

Use Yeastcalc from the link provided above. It will tell you what your cell count will be with whatever starter method and volume you are using. Once the starter is done, you will know your approximate cell count at that point. Then decide how many cells you want in each jar and split up the slurry accordingly. I usually shoot for 100 billion cells in each jar which is similar to a vial or smack pack like you buy from the store. And no, you don't need to wash the yeast after making a starter. Practicing good sanitation is a must though if you are going to be farming yeast.

stepping up with a 1 liter flask can be done but your inoculation rate will increase causing less yeast growth. also, you can only fit so much wort into that flask. i would suggest going with a larger vessel.

right now i use a 1 gallon jug on stir plate. that way i can keep decanting and adding till i reach 3 liters if needed. i switched to gallon jug for 2 reasons.

1. flasks are fragile and EXPENSIVE!! gallon jugs are about 3-4 bucks (if your in to cheap wine you can go that route also.)
2. 1.8 liter starters in a 2 liter flask end up all over the counter.

Back