Saugatuck Brew-on-Premises

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrix

Reaction score
The girlfriend and I have been tasked with providing 90-100 gal. of beer for a friend's upcoming wedding, which would be a bit of a task on our 5 gal. system.

So among the options we're looking at to accomplish this is Saugatuck Brewing's brew-on-premises operation, where we could potentially knock out half of what we need in one day. (Of course, there is a monetary hit for that kind of convenience.)

Has anyone here had experience brewing at Saugatuck? If so, would you recommend others brew there?

Wow! Asked to brew 100 gallons of beer is quite the request.
Do they know the time and money request that they are making?
Huge task for a home brewer.
Good luck with the Saugutuck option. I don't know what those places are like, but wouldn't they be geared to a bunch of 5 gallon batches? Meaning 20 mash's, 20 boils or something like that?

How many people are going to be at that wedding? You are talking about 800 pints of beer... I would suggest purchasing a few kegs of good craft beer.

The groom is a homebrewer, so he understands, and they are covering costs. And yes, it's a large time commitment, but it's time spent making beer!

If it were me and I were looking at your option, first thing I would do is to call the place and ask them about being able to brew 100 gallons.
Depending on how many people they work with at one time, they may only have two or three burners!

Seems like a good place to start.

THEN.... Are you going to do 800 bottles, 20 corny kegs or what?
I would hate to think of 800 bottles to be filled!

One style of beer or a few?

I've talked to them and without getting into details, they seem like very nice, accommodating folks over the phone and we would be able to brew up to 50 gal. or so in a day.

I'm mostly interested in hearing if other homebrewers -- they said they get a fair number of homebrewers the come through -- have been happy with the experience, and most importantly, the quality of the packaged beer.

Back