Bayou Classic SQ14 - 46min 7.5 Gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
I did a little experiment tonight.
http://terryandvickie.com/?p=70 you can see it here.

Basically it took 46 min for me to boil 7.5 gals of water...

What are other peoples experience with how long it takes...

I would be willing to try a different model or even spend more $ to try to shorten the time it took.

T

Upgrade from the 10 PSI regulator to the 20 PSI regulator that will get you up to temperature fairly quickly.

I have the same burner and did a 6.5 gallon boil the other day. I went from 140F to boiling in 25-30 minutes. Since I'd like to do 12-13 gallon boils in the future, I'll be upgrading my regulator as Donasay mentioned...

When I bought my SQ14 at home depot, the sign said that it was 155k BTU (or somewhere around there). Is that a typo or could the one I bought possibly have a 20 PSI regulator? Mine has a SS hose from the regulator to the burner and most of the ones I see here have a plastic tube.

drunkatuw said:
When I bought my SQ14 at home depot, the sign said that it was 155k BTU (or somewhere around there). Is that a typo or could the one I bought possibly have a 20 PSI regulator? Mine has a SS hose from the regulator to the burner and most of the ones I see here have a plastic tube.

Mine has the non stainless hose and its 55k BTUs maximum. It looks like they all now have the stainless hoses though. Maybe yours is just newer...

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/propane_regulator_kit.htm

as to the 10 to 20 PSI regualtor...

The Home Depot web site has it listed as 15. But it is a 10. And the Bayou people have it listed at 10 and do not recommend a 20 for this model.
The best idea I have heard is putting this regulator on it.

tgrier said:
as to the 10 to 20 PSI regualtor...

The Home Depot web site has it listed as 15. But it is a 10. And the Bayou people have it listed at 10 and do not recommend a 20 for this model.
The best idea I have heard is putting this regulator on it.

I just spoke to the Bayou customer service (very nice btw) and they said I can go up to 20psi. Did they specifically tell you not to? I'm thinking of the 15psi anyway, but I might do the 20 if I can...

The one from HD seems to actually be different from the standard one, there are a number of people around here that have bought one. From all accounts, it sounds like it does come with a 15 PSI regulator.

Mine (from the Depot) has a 10 PSI reg. I get from mash temps to boiling in maybe 15 minutes (I don't *think* it's 20; it really doesn't take very long). I'm also usually starting with about eight gallons in the keggle. It also burns extremely clean even when run full-bore. Frankly, unless I were doing 10 gallon batches I do not see how I would receive any benefit by bumping up the reg. I've got the Banjo Cooker as well, which can throw off more BTUs but doensn't burn as cleanly, and they both really seem to bring the wort to a boil in the same amount of time.

Hmm, and I thought you were the one saying it was 15 PSI. So it's just false advertising at HD, putting double the output rating on the box/website? That sux.

I upgraded to the 15psi regulator since I'll be doing double batches. That should put me at the maximum of 120k BTUs...

It is interesting how a bump in 5 psi can double your btu output, and how doubling the PSI can quadruple your BTU output. I know the 20 PSI regulator requires an adapter piece to hook up to the SQ 14 burner, but well worth the upgrade as the base is one of the sturdiest I have seen around.

Donasay said:
It is interesting how a bump in 5 psi can double your btu output, and how doubling the PSI can quadruple your BTU output. I know the 20 PSI regulator requires an adapter piece to hook up to the SQ 14 burner, but well worth the upgrade as the base is one of the sturdiest I have seen around.

The adapter is just a $2 "orifice". Nothing fancy...

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/5235_propane_burner_part.htm

Donasay said:
It is interesting how a bump in 5 psi can double your btu output, and how doubling the PSI can quadruple your BTU output.

And it gets more interesting when you figure that the 30 PSI regulator on the KAB4 got you 210K BTU, not that huge of a jump from the 20 PSI at 185K BTU. More pressure only seems to work up to a certain point.

I just checked my SQ14 from Home Depot with the SS hose and on the regulator on a shiny silver sticker it says "10PSIG", so it looks like it's false advertising on HD's part.

Does anyone use their SQ14 for 10gal batches? I thought about trying it this weekend if I have time, but I don't want to wait over an hour to get a boil going.

I have that burner with the 10psi reg and I get 14-15 gallons to a boil in about 45-50 minutes.
Not sure what your problem was other then you were boiling 7.5 gallons of WATER and not WORT.. :D A real waste of gas and time... lol

drunkatuw said:
I just checked my SQ14 from Home Depot with the SS hose and on the regulator on a shiny silver sticker it says "10PSIG", so it looks like it's false advertising on HD's part.

Does anyone use their SQ14 for 10gal batches? I thought about trying it this weekend if I have time, but I don't want to wait over an hour to get a boil going.

I have the exact same burner from HD and I frequently use it for 10 gal and 5 gal batches. I'd say it takes about 40 minutes or so to get about 12-14 gal boiling. What I usually do is start to heat my kettle once I've collected around half of my wort already.

Plus theres a big difference between starting with cold water from the tap vs wort from a mash tun at >150F. I guess if your doing extract brews you have to start with cold water though, but I can't imagine doing a 10 gal extract brew

drunkatuw said:

I used to use mine for 10 gallon batches, and it didn't boil the wort in my keggle as vigorously as I would have hoped. I was kind of hoping to get a good rolling boil, but it was more of a small boil. Hence the need to upgrade to the 20 PSI regulator and get the vigorous boil and optimal hop utilization.

FSR402 said:
I have that burner with the 10psi reg and I get 14-15 gallons to a boil in about 45-50 minutes.
Not sure what your problem was other then you were boiling 7.5 gallons of WATER and not WORT.. :D A real waste of gas and time... lol

hahahahahaha good one...

I had to work late and started this experiment late at night...
I brewed the very next night ... hefe... good one too.

I think I am going to keep this unit. I think the banjo while more powerful would burn a ton of gas.

This one did fine and I cut 30 min of total time off my last boil over my older unit.

Back