good lantern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBeer247

Reaction score
i currently own no lanterns. can anyone recommend any to have on hand in case the power in the house goes out?

It's been a long time since I've used a lantern, but when I was a kid we had a gas powered Coleman with the cloth light thingies. That thing worked great and provided more than enough light. Personally I would just go with a wooden torch.

This may sound dumb but there are plenty of really good LED lanterns that are better and way lower maintenance than kerosene. I have both and find myself using the LED lanterns all the time and leaving the kerosene put away.

Hm subsribed, that is an excelllent question. The main ones I have seen suggested on emergency sites are kerosene powered. They say use K1 clear kerosene and they burn clean. Usually they say to have a couple extra on hand as they may be valuable for barter during emergency times. Provided you have an adequate supply of firearms and ammunitiion of course. This is a drunken ramlign.

A generator is great, BUT unless you have two generators, you do not have a backup. If the first generator fails you are hosed. Plus you need gasoline of fuel to power it, another supply chain issue. Even if you have say 30 gallons gasoline on hand, that is at the most a few days of backup.

SO Good call on the lanterns man.

On on site I saw this guy who had I think four 50 gallon + diesel truck tanks near his shed, all filled with K1 clear kerosene with biocide. Not a bad call I imagine ...

I will say, the cost of preparing some basics for emergencies is not terrible ... and dammit if the @#$@ ever hits the #@$#, which it has from time to time in various areas in history, you will be thankful for having some stuff socked away.

provided you can make it home from work I suppose ...

I don't use a lantern often, but when I do, i use a Coleman.

Stay illuminated, my friends.

Seriously, I have two Coleman lanterns which use Coleman fuel (Camp gas) and the mesh thingys (name escapes me now.) They are very bright, if a bit loud, but they are also pretty durable and parts are easy to get and not expensive. Also nice if you don't have ready access to electricity to recharge.

The Coleman dual fuel lanterns are nice and bright but to my knowledge not safe to use indoors unless you have a good source of fresh air and good ventilation for the CO that they put off. I would go with a good old fashioned oil lamp or as has been suggested there are plenty of bright led lamps that are perfectly safe and last quite a while on a set of batteries.

In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!

The Coleman dual fuel lanterns are nice and bright but to my knowledge not safe to use indoors unless you have a good source of fresh air and good ventilation for the CO that they put off. I would go with a good old fashioned oil lamp or as has been suggested there are plenty of bright led lamps that are perfectly safe and last quite a while on a set of batteries.

This is true. If using indoors an LED light might be better. We've only used the Coleman when out camping and wanted plenty of light for fixing food at night, or playing cards around a table.

If talking about an electric lantern for emergency situations, I would suggest one with a hand crank dynamo...

I don't use a lantern often, but when I do, i use a Coleman.

Stay illuminated, my friends.

Seriously, I have two Coleman lanterns which use Coleman fuel (Camp gas) and the mesh thingys (name escapes me now.) They are very bright, if a bit loud, but they are also pretty durable and parts are easy to get and not expensive. Also nice if you don't have ready access to electricity to recharge.

They're mantles. I love Coleman lanterns, but I agree that inside use would be a no-no.

Back