Siphoning and Vinyl Tubing-Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a process to rack to my bottling bucket.. easy, right? Well, here is the question. I have an newly acquired Autosiphon and bottling bucket with some new sanitized vinyl tubing. There is "CURL" in the tubing.. so when I siphon into the bucket, the curl at the bottom of the bucket doesn't allow it to siphon to the bottom of the bucket.. rather, flows upward.. not good.

So the question is.. is my tubing bad? It seems to be good stuff.. but came off the roll and doesn't want to straighten out. How do I fix this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I boiled it, but it still retains a bit of curl.

Help??

put the tubing in very hot water and let get hot then hang it with a weight tied to the end off the ground... should stretch it out and get that curl out... then store in a hanging position and do not coil it.

^^ I love this idea, why didn't I think of that? This is why I keep browsing the Beginner's Forum!

The only length of tubing we use that really presents this problem is the 5/8" one that needs to be used with the barrel tap on her BB ale pale. I put one end on the spout,the other end in the bottling bucket. It too wants to curl slightly upward. But I think that's also due to the fact that I should've cut it about 10" longer. I have to twist the tube at the spigot in order to move the other end. It wants to point toward the side of the bottling bucket bottom. Those larger diameter tubes have thicker walls,& are pretty stiff.
But you don't just get a whirlpool effect with it...you get a maelstrom!

Back