Stone XI Anniversary Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone! I want to brew this again, but in an effort to save some $$ I want to use yeast that I have stocked - which is currently WLP002, Wyeast 1272, and Wyeast 1450.

Which of those yeasts would you guys recommend? I'm leaning towards the 1272.

how's this look for 5.25 gal extract?

10 lb 2-row liquid malt extract
1 lb Caramel 60
1 lb Carafa Special II or III

3.0 Chinook (70 min)
.5 oz each Amarillo and Simcoe (20)
.5 oz each Amarillo and Simcoe (10)
1 oz each Amarillo and Simcoe (5)
1 oz each Amarillo and Simcoe (dry hop)

Yeast Cake of Wyeast 1056 (2 packets Safale US 05 dry yeast)

After reading all 243 posts and some more research in this forum, I am finally planning on making this beast, next month.

This is what I got:

Type: All Grain Date:
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.50 gal
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: CASTLE BLACK EQUIPMENT
End of Boil Volume 3.91 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Ingredients

Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.5 %
Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 6.5 %
Chinook [11.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 83.7 IBUs
Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8.4 IBUs
Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12.8 IBUs
Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs
Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs
Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4.6 IBUs
Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.083 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.6 %
Bitterness: 116.6 IBUs Calories: 274.5 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 33.8 SRM
Mash Profile

152.0 F 60 min

have my amarillo and simcoe in the mail for this. Just need to source the chinook and this will be my next brew. Looking forward to it.

have my amarillo and simcoe in the mail for this. Just need to source the chinook and this will be my next brew. Looking forward to it.

Should be able to get the chinook easily. its the amarillo and simcoe that are the tougher ones to get a hold of. try hops direct see if they still got some. thats where i get my hops for the most part.

For those that have brewed it this way: 90% 2-row / 5% C60L / 5% Carafa III Special - is the Carafa imparting enough roast, or is it just mainly color? I love this beer and the Escondidian Imperial Black IPA because they've got some roast character too, rather than just being a black colored IPA. I'm planning on doing this as a 5 gallon BIAB batch, which is probably over ambitious, but I have my efficiency cranked way down on the recipe calculator so hopefully I'll be alright.

CastleBlack said:
Should be able to get the chinook easily. its the amarillo and simcoe that are the tougher ones to get a hold of. try hops direct see if they still got some. thats where i get my hops for the most part.

Williams Brewing where I found the simcoe and amarillo was out of Chinook at the time. I think northern Brewer will have it when I get my grains.

How has it turned it out so far mate?

I set it back one week or so to make way for Ruination IPA clone (yes I have a very spot on recipe if you want it). As soon as I get the IPA out of the way - out of primary that it - I ll attempt the Sublimely Self Righteous.

Have you made this one yet? If so please do tell how the slight roasted notes, tie with the hoppyness.

Thanks mate and happy brewing.

I set it back one week or so to make way for Ruination IPA clone (yes I have a very spot on recipe if you want it). As soon as I get the IPA out of the way - out of primary that it - I ll attempt the Sublimely Self Righteous.

Have you made this one yet? If so please do tell how the slight roasted notes, tie with the hoppyness.

Yooper's Ruination recipe's terrific; I've done that one a few times now. This recipe is solid as well, although I admit I tweaked it a bit to add some more hoppiness. I'm planning to give it another go-round soon, as I haven't had it in a year or so and hoppy season approacheth! Between this and the session IPA in primary, it's going to be a tasty spring :mug:.

Yooper's Ruination recipe's terrific; I've done that one a few times now. This recipe is solid as well, although I admit I tweaked it a bit to add some more hoppiness. I'm planning to give it another go-round soon, as I haven't had it in a year or so and hoppy season approacheth! Between this and the session IPA in primary, it's going to be a tasty spring :mug:.

Sounds about right to me!

I cant wait for Ruination to be ready. This is my first attempt at it but I just love all homebrew IPAs I have made so far. (Am trying the S.N Celebration clone as we speak, it kicks butt). Let me ask you this: I am planning on adding only Centennials for the Ruination dry hop, do you think its sufficient?

It only makes me look more so forward to S.S.R. My roommate just brought a bomber home yesterday, cant wait to crack that sucker open!

Let me know how your Ruination goes and join the Ruination thread, its got a lot of great info, as always.

Happy brewing!

at last this one is in the carboy with a healthy pitch of yeast. used 2oz of chinook at 60 and then 1.5oz of Simcoe and Amirillo at flame out. I have 2.5oz of each for the dry hop. Also had some really good eff with this one and was able to get almost 3 gallons of wort that still had good gravity readings. I plan on boiling that tomorrow with some home grown hops and and some other left over hops for a weaker black IPA.

at last this one is in the carboy with a healthy pitch of yeast. used 2oz of chinook at 60 and then 1.5oz of Simcoe and Amirillo at flame out. I have 2.5oz of each for the dry hop. Also had some really good eff with this one and was able to get almost 3 gallons of wort that still had good gravity readings. I plan on boiling that tomorrow with some home grown hops and and some other left over hops for a weaker black IPA.

Great idea to do the parti-gyle on a brew this massive. I am planning on doing the same this if I get some good efficiency.

However, I have a question: Are you planning on using 2.5 + 2.5 high Alpha hops on the dry hop for 3 USG of brew and wouldnt you say that this is excessive perhaps overkill even?

I am only asking since I am planning on doing a 3 -3.5 USG around 1.080 - 1.083 OG but i am only planning on using 1 oz Simcoe + 1 oz Amarillo.

In any case, your input would be appreciated

Happy Brewing.

I am going to use the 2.5 of each in the 5 gallon batch. I am planning on different hops all together in the 3 gallon one. I used 1oz of home grown hops from my yard, strain unknown at 60 along with .5oz of columbus and then .5oz of willamete at 10 min. not sure on the dry hop for that one yet.

I am going to use the 2.5 of each in the 5 gallon batch. I am planning on different hops all together in the 3 gallon one. I used 1oz of home grown hops from my yard, strain unknown at 60 along with .5oz of columbus and then .5oz of willamete at 10 min. not sure on the dry hop for that one yet.

Ok mate, I see what you are saying now. I see love this brew, got two batches going there. Cant blame you at all.

I am growing cascades this year to see how that goes, wont crop out till next year though. As for homegrown I think it is more advisable to use them only for aroma and not for bittering since I hear they are lower on the alpha acid and large quantities are required. On the other hand cant say for sure, havent grown any yet.

Your batch with the homegrown hops and such seems quite interesting please do keep us posted and as always...

Happy Brewing!

I have used them for aroma before and wasn't happy with the flavor. Since I didn't plant them and have no clue what they are I thought what the hell. Otherwise this wort would have been dumped with the grain. This three gallons to MD is just bonus and I plan on trying something different. Maybe some NZ hops.

I have used them for aroma before and wasn't happy with the flavor. Since I didn't plant them and have no clue what they are I thought what the hell. Otherwise this wort would have been dumped with the grain. This three gallons to MD is just bonus and I plan on trying something different. Maybe some NZ hops.

Yup, sounds like sth I would do. Dont waste brew if you can. I have added left over hops from other brews, mainly for bittering spent grain wort or last runnings.

You never know mate, sometimes those spent grains brews come out just fine. One key to em is to refrigerate overnight before you drink it, lets all the tannins settle. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Happy brewing!

After almost a week still have high krausen.

ForumRunner_20120316_082428.jpg

CastleBlack said:

Haven't done your recipe yet.

Got my Zombie Dust clone fermenting away at the moment.

I'd love the Ruination recipe if you could spare it; DM if you'd like.

Thanks Mate

Haven't done your recipe yet.

Got my Zombie Dust clone fermenting away at the moment.

I'd love the Ruination recipe if you could spare it; DM if you'd like.

Thanks Mate

Hell, i ll use my girls smoothy blender if I got to. Sure, it ll kill the parti-gyle part of the brew and my efficiency with it but this brew has got to get going. On a brew big like this i'd expect sth in the order of 65 ish efficiency, but i'd gladly do it for 55% instead of not at all.

Ruination recipe is as follows:

MALT:
Pale Malt (2 Row) 82.8 %
Caramel Malt - 20L 10.2 %
Cara-Pils/Dextrine 7.0 %
HOPS:
Columbus Boil 60.0 min 43.2 IBUs
Columbus Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 26.2 IBUs
Centennial Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 15.3 IBUs
Centennial Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 11.2 IBUs
Centennial Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 6.2 IBUs
Centennial Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 1.3 IBUs
Centennial Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs (2 oz)

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Hope this helped and hopefully enough, I ll get the damn beast into the primary by next week. We sure are falling behind schedule here. I got the IPA's coming up in short time (Two Hearted Ale, DFH 90 min, Alpha King Pale Ale)

Happy brewing and let me know how your brews are coming along!

Hell, i ll use my girls smoothy blender if I got to. Sure, it ll kill the parti-gyle part of the brew and my efficiency with it but this brew has got to get going. On a brew big like this i'd expect sth in the order of 65 ish efficiency, but i'd gladly do it for 55% instead of not at all.

Ruination recipe is as follows:

MALT:
Pale Malt (2 Row) 82.8 %
Caramel Malt - 20L 10.2 %
Cara-Pils/Dextrine 7.0 %
HOPS:
Columbus Boil 60.0 min 43.2 IBUs
Columbus Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 26.2 IBUs
Centennial Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 15.3 IBUs
Centennial Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 11.2 IBUs
Centennial Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 6.2 IBUs
Centennial Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 1.3 IBUs
Centennial Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs (2 oz)

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

What was Mash details and Batch size of this bad bot?

Looks like he listed the reciped exclusive of batch size - meaning as long as you follow the grist %s and IBUs you can scale it to whatever size you like.

Ruination is medium dry with a plain ale yeast, mashing at 152 would be fine.

What's with everyone calling each other mate in this thread?

Anyways... main reason I came in here was to post that I miss this beer. Haven't been able to brew a batch yet this year because I can't find any more amarillo and simcoe. Anyone have any luck tracking those hops down?

DrinkNoH2O said:
Looks like he listed the reciped exclusive of batch size - meaning as long as you follow the grist %s and IBUs you can scale it to whatever size you like.

Ruination is medium dry with a plain ale yeast, mashing at 152 would be fine.

What's with everyone calling each other mate in this thread?

Thanks mate!

I'm from Australia by the way

What was Mash details and Batch size of this bad bot?

What the poster above said mate. I try to avoid using tailored numbers since home-brewing to me is all about making it your own.

This specific batch was only a 3.5 USG and my mash was 153 since US-05 will take the final gravity "to town". If I finish at 1.014-15 i ll be happy. Here in virginia the temps are getting warmer really quick so my secondary is more active that I expected. Nonetheless, we are still getting some super hoppy goodness in just a few more days!

Happy brewing everyone and make sure you keep your IBU's high!

Much appreciated.

Yeah I built the recipe for 25 litres (you guys can work that one out), it was mainly the mash details I was curious about.

Anyway enough thread drift. Back to the black goodness of this IPA

Thanks mate!

I'm from Australia by the way

No worries! Makes sense now!

I have an Aussie buddy in who lived in Newport Beach until recently, what a coincidence.

BTW - you're in America now, no brewing in liters! Embrace the gallon, haha.

No worries! Makes sense now!

I have an Aussie buddy in who lived in Newport Beach until recently, what a coincidence.

BTW - you're in America now, no brewing in liters! Embrace the gallon, haha.

I second that! Brewing is in Gallons (sometimes drinking is in gallons too but that's for another time!)

Happy brewing to ya all.

Blasted!

I just had a fine bottle of SSR. Tasted the brew I have held to great respect and yet I am surprised. The notes are of overwhelming sweet maltnyess and separately hoppy bitterness. A true barleywine. But this is not the reason I write this review. I am intending on making this monster, within the month, finally. To me it also tastes like an arrogant bastard Plus mild roasted notes. Whatever Arrogant bastard is I think this brew is as well plus Carafa III. Perhaps we could make this one again with C-120 instead of C-60 for the body.

Please do post your thoughts.

Happy brewing to ya all.

I think it may have been an older bottle you tasted then. I always get great hop aroma and a fairly dry finish from SSR. Plus you get that distinctive Simcoe/Amarillo combo vs. all Chinook in AB.

I think it may have been an older bottle you tasted then. I always get great hop aroma and a fairly dry finish from SSR. Plus you get that distinctive Simcoe/Amarillo combo vs. all Chinook in AB.

It is possible, I did check the date and it was before the freshness date. I did get a great hop aroma, even fine hop flavor, only that hop taste was overly reminiscent of A.B. I did not get the Simcoe/Amarillo combo, at least not noticeably. What we know with certainty is that A.B uses a high SRM Crystal, some speculate it is C-150 or Special B. Yet, in our recipe of SSR we use C-60, I can only hope that it is adequate.

In any case, we will soon find out.

Happy brewing to ya.

Tomorrow is the day: SSR is about to be brewed. I am shouting for 70% eff. If I get anything over that, I ll let it roll.

Happy brewing to all of you out there and thanks for all the pointers on this monster of a brew.

I had to look this up because I was looking for a recipe on this beer that I tried the other day. Damn it's good.:rockin::

Stone-Sublime-150x300.png

Back