My Brew Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougyFresh04

Reaction score
I am going to build a brew rig this winter. Most parts are on order and I have gotten some from our scrap heap at work. For the first build I am going to use two 10gal coolers and a 110V heating element going to a brew kettle with propane burner. Here is the schematic that I made. It has two Love TSS2 controllers, the solenoid valves one pump. I am using a Mercury relay(had an extra one at work) for the heating element. all of this enclosed in a nice metal box(also scrap from work).

Let me know what you think and what improvements I should do.

Will keep this updated.

Brew.jpg

Some pictures of the parts I have as of now. The cabinet came with some wire management and AB terminals(a lot more than what is shown). You can also see the mercury relay that I have.

Yesterday I ordered all of my relays, relay sockets, 24v power supply, switches, e-stop, and some other odds and ends.

A question for you:

I have a 240v outlet on the outside of my garage that I could have moved inside(by a pro will cost some money). For now I am thinking of just using a 4500W/240v heating element with 120v so I would get about 1125W for now, but this would make for an easy upgrade. Is this a good idea, or should I get a 120v element?

Thanks for reading

2011-10-08_21-58-08_943.jpg

2011-10-08_21-57-57_69.jpg

If 1125W is good enough for you that would be the way to go until you switch to 240V.

I am hopping to get some work done on this over the weekend. I have most or the electronics ordered and I also got this:
http://www.amazon.com/Curve-Water-Sensor-Liquid-Switch/dp/B005DJ1GZ6/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1319217254&sr=8-25

I am going to use it to auto fill the HLT

How? Might be obvious from your diagram in post #1, but I can't make out any of the labels. Are planning on using the sensor as a switch for an SSR connected to your pump?

I only ask because I'm considering something similar down the road for my MLT, but since I'm planning on going the BCS-460 route it will be mostly software making the decisions.

Looking forward to following your progress. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
samc already answered your question about 240 vs 120, but yes, you can safely operate a "240V" element with 120V. However, keep in mind that if you're planning on heating 7+ gallons of strike water to 170 or even a boil with 1100W - plan on waiting around a long time. I'd go with 240V ASAP.

Why not consider the following extension cord? Would get you from your garage to brewing area. I don't know if you're planning on running 30A or 50A from your panel, but this extension cord would satisfy either need.
http://www.elecordset.com/moreinfo.aspx?pid=QREX046047638130&cs=/default.aspx&ai=M

Also (and others will echo my sentiments), you definitely need to have a GFI somewhere in your circuit. Many of us have purchased the $50 spa disconnect from home depot to solve this problem. . .

Good luck!

How? Might be obvious from your diagram in post #1, but I can't make out any of the labels. Are planning on using the sensor as a switch for an SSR connected to your pump?

This is not on my diagram yet.
I am going to have a the float sensor connect to a 24V Coil relay. The relay will be wired to a 24V Solenoid valve with my HLT supply water(hose from utility sink going through a carbon filter). So it will not be used in conjunction with a pump at all. I might get some other ones to use in the HLT and brew kettle to prevent dry firing, but I am not sure yet.

Also:

I will be brewing my my garage, the 240V outlet is on the outside of the garage( supposed to be used for RV hook up). Luckily it is directly behind where is am going to be brewing. So it shouldn't be a big deal to move it, It has a GFI in the breaker box.

I was looking into the garage wiring today, I am going to start with 120V system and upgrade later on to a 240V system. The garage has 20amp GCFI outlet already. Is this enough protection or will I have to also put a GFCI extension cord in place too?

EDIT: I found the answer (also called the search function used correctly)

Here is my progress so far.

I am having a heck of a time finding Kegs for Keggles. But I did just talk with one of my customers at work and his brother works for Kent Beverage in GR. Maybe he will be able to help me find some. Any one have any good leads for Kegs?

Inside.jpg

Outside.jpg

I don't know what you are willing to spend or what size batch, I assume 5-10 gallon range, but there are some 80qt (~20gallon) SS pots on ebay for about 100 each. I have two kegs converted to MLT and HLT, and a 75qt stock pot for my boil. I like the stock pot better than the Kegs, but they were free from the city dump so I should not complain.

I like the panel, your build is looking good.

I am having a heck of a time finding Kegs for Keggles. But I did just talk with one of my customers at work and his brother works for Kent Beverage in GR. Maybe he will be able to help me find some. Any one have any good leads for Kegs?

Have you called around to local breweries? I cold-called full sail in Oregon and they had plenty of damaged kegs that they were willing to part with for $30 each. You also get the piece of mind of knowing that you aren't buying a "stolen" keg (ala craigslist).

Agreed with the brewery cold-calls....unfortunately there isn't a brewery within 2.5 hrs of where I live. I got mine from a scrap yard/recycling place for the weight of the steel...got 3 for less than 45 bucks.

Here is my progress so far.

Try Craigslist for kegs thats where I found mine good luck! :mug:

Back