Autumn Seasonal Beer Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed ptra1004's version this past weekend. I added the pumpkin directly to the carboy after I transferred the wort. That was a pain in the ass as I only had a small funnel. Next time, I would suggest putting the pumpkin in a plastic bag. Then cut the corner and use it as bakers bag to "pipe" it into the carboy. My starting gravity prior to the pumpkin was 1.110. I should have made a starter but I stuck with a smack pack of American Ale II. It seems to be doing all right as I had a pretty good krausen and steady "bubbling" within 8 hours.

Smell's delicious and mixes well with the cascades in the Red in the fermentation chest.

Hehe, sorry a one year old in the house slows me down mare than I'd like to admit... I am actually going to use 3.5 oz of dextrose. I re figured my math and I personally would like this one to be a bit less carbonated. No other reason. I have found lately that I just prefer my homebrew to be on the less carbonated side. I have a friend who is the opposite and I think his beers to be overcarbed....

nocsimian said:
Brewed ptra1004's version this past weekend. I added the pumpkin directly to the carboy after I transferred the wort. That was a pain in the ass as I only had a small funnel. Next time, I would suggest putting the pumpkin in a plastic bag. Then cut the corner and use it as bakers bag to "pipe" it into the carboy. My starting gravity prior to the pumpkin was 1.110. I should have made a starter but I stuck with a smack pack of American Ale II. It seems to be doing all right as I had a pretty good krausen and steady "bubbling" within 8 hours.

Smell's delicious and mixes well with the cascades in the Red in the fermentation chest.

Why did you decide to add pumpkin to te Carboy and not the 60 min boil? Just wondering.

Good question. Mainly because I didn't have it listed to do so on my brewsheet :)

I was just sharing my notes with a co-worker and realized I left out the # of dark DME as well. I primarily looked at the pumpkin as a fruit that folks would add to the secondary so I just added it to the primary. I might end up with something interesting now. I'll take a pic when I get home. The krausen was a good four inches within the first 24 hours.

The Original, craft brewery version of this that served as inspiration for my recipe, will be released next month. I cannot wait for a side-by-side tasting!
-------------------------------------------------
AVERY BREWING BOULDER COLORADO

In mid October, we will be releasing our next barrel-aged project, and the first bottled pumpkin ale from Avery Brewing Company, the Rumpkin! Here’s the lowdown:
Rumpkin – Ale brewed with Pumpkin and Spices aged in Gosling’s Old Rum barrels
We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happens!
Release will be limited to CO, CA, TX, VA, GA, MO, MA

haha! I did change it up a bit it turns out....smells great right now. We'll have to see how it tastes when I rack it to the secondary this weekend.

I'm a newb but here's my thought process on it and others could chime in. If those gravity readings were taken @60 degrees, then that should put the beer at around 9-10% abv. Without knowing which yeast you pitched, I would think that alcohol content would be enough to prohibit any future yeast growth. Racking to a secondary may arouse some sleepy critters though.

Any more learned folks care to shortchange my $0.02?

Just wanted to follow up to my earlier post about making this recipe with less than a full boil. I basically followed the recipe in the original post but decided to bump the Crystal Malt to 2#. I also used 2oz of goldings to account for the smaller boil volume.

The pumpkin was added to the boil, and it was a challenge to keep the threat of boilover under control. My little 4 gallon pot was struggling to contain everything, and the wort was the thickest i've ever seen. It coated my stirring spoon like syrup.

I transferred just under 3 gallons to my primary, and topped off to 5.5 gallons with an OG of 1.081. It's been consistently bubbling away at 66-68 for a few days now.

So, my advice to anyone considering this with a smaller pot, go for it, it's an adventure! :rockin:

So this recipe sounds yummy -- but I'm thinking of ditching the "tea." I'm just not a liquor in my beer fan. How vital is it to the flavor? Should maybe I add the spices (maple flavoring and pumpkin spice and just not the rum?

Or is this just a completely different recipe and all the notes here (timing, priming sugar calculation, etc) not going to work with it?

Funny you say that cause I just racked this to a secondary and decided to ditch the tea all together after tasting my gravity sample. I believe the original intent was to have the spiced rum be part of the flavor profile but I think it's good enough without it. I might dump a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice when I keg, but it's good enough without.

The OP's idea was to replicate some of the Avery flavor profile. I realized as I was bottling the other day that I never let you guys know that I wound up with just over 3.5 gal of beer to bottle, hence 3.5 oz dextrose for bottling.

Upon first taste, less spice next time for me personally, more rum wouldn't be bad. I added 2 tbsp of vanilla at bottling as well to back off some of that spice...

So after I get the pumpkin trub out measure the amount of liquid and add that much dextrose in oz?

If I had 4 gallons. It would be 4 oz of dextrose?

The OP's idea was to replicate some of the Avery flavor profile. .

Yes, that was the reason for the original recipe, to try and duplicate the Avery brew, which was amazing, but $8 for a 10oz pour in their taproom. This year they have greatly increased the production and will be bottling it, so maybe it will be more reasonably priced.

Seems like a lot of unconverted starch to not be doing a mash. Buscuit malt, wheat, pumpkin...no wonder the beer is so cloudy. I would recommend a mash with enzymatic base malt like some six row, and then rice hulls to help out. Looks interesting though.

^..personally already have this in the hopper. The extract version of this one appealed to me because of the time factor (aforementioned one year old). I'm thinking next year, I'll roast pumpkins instead of using canned. Maybe later this season?

I've had this delicious recipe in a bottle for 4 weeks now. I popped one of the 12oz "sample" bottles and it was basically flat. Should I be worried about the rest? How long should this take to carb at about 68F?

I'm scared... it tastes so good! I hope it carbs up :'(

voicelex said:
I've had this delicious recipe in a bottle for 4 weeks now. I popped one of the 12oz "sample" bottles and it was basically flat. Should I be worried about the rest? How long should this take to carb at about 68F?

I'm scared... it tastes so good! I hope it carbs up :'(

How much dextrose did you use?

I think it was 5oz for 5 gallons? I remember them starting to bubble as I was bottling too. I know the sugar made it in..

The thing I was worried about. Im about to bottle will the high alcohol and rum addition be too high for the yeast to eat the sugar for carbonation?

The thing I was worried about. Im about to bottle will the high alcohol and rum addition be too high for the yeast to eat the sugar for carbonation?

I think it will be slow for sure, but if you have patience.... I shared a couple of bottles this past weekend, 12 days in the bottle, and barely carbonated, but it was working for sure. I think that given time it will come around. If you do the math, the rum adds less than one percent of total ABV in a five gallon batch; not significant if the yeast was healthy and prolific (starter!) at pitching.

I opened a bottle last Friday after about 2 weeks in the bottle and the CO2 is getting there but it has been slow going. It is definitely going to take a while, but it will get there...

ok im all bottled i tweaked the recipe ..... and i "dry hopped" the beer with 4 cinnamon sticks and about an oz or so of cloves... for the last week of fermentation... when bottling it smelled like someone spilled alcohol on a pumpkin pie... but the taste almost had no alcohol taste... so far so good... i hope bottling goes well im gonna wait about 3 weeks to crack one

Ok Ive bottled. And a week and a half in. The bottles have formed a bunch of gunk at the bottom. We filtered out all the pumpkin. What could this be?!?

That does seem to be a lot of sediment to just be yeast. How long was the beer in primary/secondary? What did the bottom of each fermentation look like?

I am not sure about filtering, if it gets out the pumpkin slurry. Maybe a combination of techniques is needed. On mine, the bottles have very little sediment on the bottom. I used Irish Moss in the boil, when transferring from primary to secondary I used a paint strainer which took out much of it. Secondary to bottling bucket, cold crashed, then racked from the top down leaving as much of the trub behind. I just poured one if these, and after nearly five weeks in the bottle I have excellent carbonation (I was worried) :ban:

The head is creamy, milk-stout like, and the taste, fantastic!

Quick pic (sorry about the quality)

ladyrumpfullcarb.jpg

I just finished brewing this recipe. I tweaked it a little bit by using half pumpkin half sweet potato. I also used blackberry honey instead of molasses. I also used dark candi sugar instead of brown sugar. Smells great! I plan on using Sailor Jerry spice rum for the pumpkin spice tea. I was noticing that you changed the yeast from Trappist Ale to California Ale. How much of a taste difference does the yeast make?

The Trappist gave off more fruity and clove flavors. Sailor Jerry is a good rum! Yours should turn out fantastic. Anyone else want to share the tasting experience? I have gone thru nearly the whole batch, as much as I want to save it for a year and see how it ages:)

Bottled this 1 week ago, I am assuming it will take a few weeks to carbonate.
Come on carbonation!!!!

I'm getting ready to start this one next week and I've noticed that no one is oaking it. As I am a huge oak fan, and a huge fan of the Rumpkin I was gonna do 2 oz of French oak in the secondary (soak the chips in the rum and what not before the addition). Has anyone tried this?

Back