think this will work for a hopback???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wncbrewer

Reaction score
I found this thing rummaging through the parts room at work today. It was originally designed as a filter for a pesticide sprayer. It was new in the box and has never been used (before someone calls me an idiot for scavenging parts from a pesticide sprayer) I am worried that it isn't going to be large enough. The bowl has roughly a quart capacity. And I think I can fit a couple ounces of leaf hops inside the screen if I really pack them in. My other concern is heat resistance. It looks to be same type of plastic used in home water filters...thoughts????...wnc

ForumRunner_20110923_133534.jpg

I think your only issue would be if the plastics could take the heat of hot wort from the kettle without melting or oozing into your brew.

Thanks...I think I'm going to boil some water on the stove, fill it up and evaluate what happens. If it melts, I'm only out a few fittings, most of which I had laying around. Using it as a randall is a great idea also, If I have to pick I'd rather have it a hopback, but if it works I should be able to use it for both by changing out the barbs. Cheers and thanks for the speedy replies

The body might withstand the heat but the pvc will certainly melt, I'd imagine that the bowl will melt as well.

OneHoppyGuy said:
way too small :ban:

How big should it be? I.E. how many ounces of hops should it be able to hold? The body withstood the heat fine, but I didn't think about the pvc. I don't know if I can get brass bushings that size. The inlet/outlet is 1 1/4" fpt. Wyzazz...its not that I didn't believe you, just had to see for myself. Thanks for the help...would love to use this tomorrow if it can be done

I was joking about the size (note my name)
The brass available. Finding it where you live is the question

Thanks...I think I'm going to boil some water on the stove, fill it up and evaluate what happens.

physical melting isnt the only concern. the main reason to follow heat ratings on plastic housings like this is because above the recomended temperature the plasticizers and other chemicals rapidly leech out. not only is it not good to ingest them, but that makes the plastic brittle and prone to cracking.

audger said:
physical melting isnt the only concern. the main reason to follow heat ratings on plastic housings like this is because above the recomended temperature the plasticizers and other chemicals rapidly leech out. not only is it not good to ingest them, but that makes the plastic brittle and prone to cracking.

Thanks, it is looking like I probably won't use it, at least for tomorrows brew. You guys talked me out of it. I didn't mean to sound obstinate, but I hate not being able to use free stuff, but I'm not prepared to gamble an entire batch on it

It doesn't have any temp ratings printed on it, it does have a sticker that says not to use for alcohol, which rules it out as a randall also

Thanks for the prompt replies...wnc

Back