Some carbonation questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewerd

Reaction score
I am a new soda maker and would like some help with a few problems i have been having. I am using a force carbonation system with a 5 gallon keg.

1) It seems that I reach a certain point in carbonation where no more CO2 will enter the soda and when I pour it, it all comes out in huge amounts of foam.

2) I keep hearing about using a longer hose for a better pour, does this reduce foam? How does is help the pour?

3) How much should I reduce sugar when using yeast carbonation recipes for the force carbonation method.

Any help would be much appreciated.

How long are your lines now? A longer line results in more resistance which will indeed have an impact on the pour. The diameter is also important. 1/4" beer lines require more length that 3/16" lines. I'd recommend as a minimum starting out with about 10' of 3/16" line and see how that affects your pour.

My tubing is about 2 1/2 ft long with a 1/2 in diameter I would really like to know how this affects my pour.

Back