My Trip to Belgium (14 Nov-30 Nov)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I'm stuck in Liege for work Nov 19 & 20 but I will have the weekend before to myself and I'm taking the week of Thanksgiving off for vacation and shall return Nov 30. Here is my current itinerary and will add more on Thursday regarding the beer bars I shall be trying.

Nov 14-Fly to Heathrow
Nov 15 AM-Arrive Heathrow and hop a noon plane to Brussels
Nov 15 PM-Hop a train and arrive in Brugge
Nov 16- Hit up the 2nd Annual Brugge Beer Festival and here is a list of the brewers.
Nov 17-Hop a train to Liege
Nov 18-21 - Work :(
Nov 21- Hop a train to Brussels and check out a beer bar or two
Nov 22- Quintessence @ the Cantillon brewery. (Take a look at the link, talk about heaven!)
Nov 22 PM-One or two more beer bars
Nov 23-27 - Still open, working on beer bars and brewery tours to see.
Nov 28 AM - Fly back to Heathrow
Nov 28 PM - Check in to hotel and hit up Dick Whittington Ale trail for another t-shirt
Nov 29 - Spend all day tasting some great real ale at the 26th Whitehorse Real Ale fest
Nov 30 - Fly back to STL

I'm also working on trying to get a case of Westvleteren 12 during Nov 23-27.

Liege is a great city! I lived across the country and was only ever in Liege for the afternoon (about 10 times though) Be careful if you are spending time in the Carre (with the accent over the e) because there can be some fairly sketchy people that frequent that area, but there are some great bars there.

If you dont have free time to go to many bars be sure to hit the grocery stores/ package stores as well, each different one has different selections of beer, by the end of Novembers you may even be finding Bieres de Noel!

When you're in Bruxelles there is a great place, Delirium Cafe (aka Delirium Tremens) which is tricky to find off of the Rue de Bouchers (This is assuming that you havent been there before) It holds the worlds record on most beers in stock. Over 2000 if i remember correctly, it can be a bit pricey but they have some fantastic rare beers!!

Have fun and best of luck! I sure wish I was going

That looks like a great itinerary, except for the work part.
I head over to Belgium every couple of years. Have been wanting to get to the Cantillon Quintessence, but it never works out for me. While in Brugge be sure to get over to Bruges t'Beerje and check out Erasmus if you get a chance. There's also a really old bar hidden down an alley to the east of the giant bell tower.
Also, if you can get over to Ghent there is an awesome bottle shop called the Hop Duvel. It's like a CostCo for Belgian beers.
In Antwerp try to get to the Kulminator,awesome bar, and look for Quentin M'sattsis (sp?) It's a 500 year old pub. Great food.
Brussels has the Delirium Pub, over 2000 beers there. Also there's Bier Circus, and Mort Subite. Also keep an eye out for small hidden bars. You can get wonderful faro poured from clay pitchers.
And, just south of Bruassels, in a town called Beersel is the Tre Fontiene brewery and pub. Great food and beers.
All in all, have a great trip. I'm already jealous.

Awesome trip.

I consider the walk from Poperinge to St. Sixtus (in June) to be the second best I've ever encountered. It's filled with nothing but farm land and hops fields. It's only second to the walk back to Poperinge, because face it, everything looks better when you've had a few.

:drunk:

Back