mini mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew!Brew!

Reaction score
Just real quick can somebody explain the mini mashing technique(what it is). I know AG, extract, and using steeping grains. But mini mash?

It's any batch from which part of its fermentables are derived from mashed grains and part from malt extract. It's like doing a small all grain batch to which you add malt extract and topup water to.

Mini-mash is just another term for Partial mash, if I'm not mistaken.

Like Bobby says, my understanding is that mini-mash is just like a baby all-grain recipe. It's got more grain than an extract recipe and more of the sugars are derived from the grain.

And dale beat me to the link while I was typing. That's a good one.

-Joe

It's pretty much been defined for you but here's a couple of articles that I read when I started doing PMs.

BYO - Countertop Partial Mashing
BYO - Beer the Partial-Mash Way

And it's well worth the effort. I have been partial mash from about batch #6 on and I'm at 35 batches now. I don't have the gear to go all grain but I get great results PMing using a converted 5 gallon round cooler for an MLT.

Latest posts

Back