Unfiltered apple cider pre-rack needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapaglia

Reaction score
Ive got a gallon of unpasteurized unfiltered organic (it was on special) apple cider that has about 1/2" of "stuff" that has fallen out of suspension and is sitting on the bottom. Should I rack the cider off this before I pitch the yeast or just leave it and deal with it when I rack for bottling? Will leaving it there add anything to the flavor or just cause more racking loss?

Personally when I make hard cider with unfilterd cider, I shake up the bottles and dump the whole thing into the carboy. It will all fall out of suspension in the end and there isn't a whole lot of mess to deal with after.

Personally when I make hard cider with unfilterd cider, I shake up the bottles and dump the whole thing into the carboy. It will all fall out of suspension in the end and there isn't a whole lot of mess to deal with after.

+1. I also use the shake and dump method.

Back